Glasgow West End: Pats Guide: Bookshops
Voltaire & Rousseau
(339 1811) has been in business in Otago Lane (Nr. Gibson Street) for many years. It is the longest established secondhand bookshop in Glasgow and is chock full of second hand and antiquarian books on every subject under the sun.
483 Great Western Road, Kelvinbridge (334 9663)
Caledonia Books specialize in antiquarian books and quality second hand books. They have a very extensive range in stock and this is the place to look if you are a fan of really lovely and interesting old books.
Waterstones, Byres Road
Opened, Autumn, 2015
Waterstones 351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12
John Smith & Son, Glasgow University Bookshop
The Fraser Building, University Avenue, Glasgow G12 8PP Tel:+44(O)141 339 1463 Fax 339 3690
The shop very successfully services the needs of the University’s students, courses and staff but offers much more besides. The shop promotes Glasgow University authors and provides information on recent works. They are rightfully proud of the service John Smith provides as the oldest English speaking bookshop in the World and aim to help customers find the books they are after – promptly.
There is a lot of enthusiasm and will to keep the customer satisfied with plenty of good deals and special promotions. The shop is not in the slightest bit stuffy despite its erudite locaton – in fact it has quite a few pleasant and unexpectedly quirky aspects
including a commitment to the promotion of “The Angry Corrie” – the hillwalker’s Fanzine.
OXFAM second hand book shop
The books are in lovely condition and the shop is bright, fresh and very well organised.
Don’t miss out on Bargain Books at 223 Byres Road (357 4303) – this chain sells new books including childrens’ books and best sellers at reduced prices.
A small but well stocked independent book shop with good selection of fiction, poetry and travel writing. Also films and gifts.
143 Hyndland Road, Hyndland, Glasgow G12 9JA, 0141-334 5522
Books I have read and liked
You will enjoy reading Christine Macrae’s Book Reviews Christine Macrae: The West End Good Book Guide also I have put a page together a selection of books from my bookshelf which I think are very good and well worth reading. I have selected lots of books about Glasgow plus more general titles including books recommended by Jim (my husband who is also an avid reader).
Archived content: Christine Macrae: The West End Good Book Guide
John Smith & Son Bookshop, Byres Road: gone but fondly remembered
Sadly, this great book shop has now closed so I guess we will have to archive this information as it’s now just a little bit of history However,as Jim wrote up this piece and was a particular fan of the bookshop it doesn’t seem right just to scrap it so I’ll ask him what he thinks. It was sad to see the shop so busy in recent weeks during its closing down sale and it will be a great miss in Byres Road. (21st June, 2000)
The John Smith & Son Bookshop is, for me anyway, a good reason to take a walk down to Byres Road. Though not an especially large bookstore you can find all the latest new publications, old favourites, and every other category you can think of. The outside of the shop is nothing to shout about but inside it is attractive and well laid out and has an ambiance that seems to be tailored to the location. And this store is a little different.
On the top floor ( there are three levels) there is a record store where you can find many ‘underground’ albums and hard to find musical artistes. The person who runs the record store – whose name escapes me for the moment is a noted vinyl geek and the person serving you behind the counter is likely to be a famous member of a long established Scottish band. I have heard stories of Japanese teens visiting the shop just to get a glimpse of this local celebrity – expressing amazement that he works in a bookstore.
On the ground floor there is a childrens section which always looks lively and inviting and on the second floor you will find non-fiction titles with a large selection of ‘alternative lifestyle’ books, maps, guides, books for film buffs, arts and reference books.
This section: Best In The West, Shopping
- Spirito, Interiors, Cards, Gifts, Crow Road, Broomhill, Glasgow
- Glasgow Shopping: Currie and Quirk Opticians, Byres Road, G12
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- West End Festival 2016: The Moment Keeper, Thistle Gallery, Jackie and Jilly Henderson, 4 – 19 June
- Surf and Turf Exhibition, Thistle Gallery from Saturday April, 23rd 2016.
- Dear Green Place – Exhibition at the Thistle Gallery, Saturday. March 19th– Sunday, April 3rd, 2016
- Bricks 4 Kidz, After school classes St Silas Woodlands
- The Face on the Moon, The Vale, 26 September, 2015.
- Shopping in Glasgow: Vintage Guru Byres Road
- Blair and Sheridan, Gin and Sapphires Event, Saturday 22 August, 2015
- Easter Workshops for Children at Bricks 4 Kidz
- Video History Scotland: DVD Memories of Dumbarton 1940 – 1975
- QM Eye Opticians, Glasgow: specialising in quality eyecare and eyewear
- Bricks 4 Kidz– Children’s Workshops February Half-term 2015
- The Observatory, Nancy Smillie Studio
- Memories of Millport Isle of Cumbrae in the 1920s and 1930s, Video History Scotland
- Clyde Steamer Memories Part 1 DVD Video History Scotland