Autumn in West Glasgow: The Seasons In Colour by Bob Law
It has been a magical month and a half of fine weather over the UK. Sunny days, cold nights, sometimes beautiful sunsets. The autumn colours have lasted this year thanks to light winds. Now the ‘grey time’ begins during November – skeleton trees stripped of leaf and life stand desolate… fallen and faded colours clog up drains to cause large puddles … long days of incessant rain and drizzle commence. A grey month and a prelude to the ‘white time’ of winter.
So let’s celebrate Nature’s autumn gift. A last splash of colour to sustain us through the dark nights ahead when the urban forest threatened to swamp the city and all you could see from any hillside was an ocean of multicoloured trees lapping against the buildings.
What would any city look like without its cloak of trees to cheer us up? The Great Wood of Caledon is not to be found up north in the wilds but in the Scottish towns and cities, in parks, along canals and railways, by the side of roads, in gardens and open spaces.
Taken together, a vast deciduous urban forest stretching for many miles left by previous generations and a great legacy we almost take for granted today. A treasure of our age. Trees gathered from every corner of the planet in many cases by the Victorians and only coming to full maturity now.
And we certainly should treasure them. Forests were here long before our arrival and they may yet witness our end.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking and Photography Old Kilpatrick and Goldenhill
- Bob Law’s Blog: Evening Escapades
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Kilpatrick Hills balcony trails
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glennifer Braes Walks
- Bob Law: Gardens of Eden
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Scotland has some colourful birds
- Bob Law: Walks in Glasgow – Anniesland and Knightswood
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow’s Quieter Parks
- Bob Law: North Pollok Walk, Glasgow
- Bob Law: Blog – Make The Most of Autumn in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: Rouken Glen – A Park For All Seasons
- Dumbarton to Balloch along the River Leven
- Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: Scotland – Walking and Photography Lunderston Bay To Kip Marina
- Bob Law’s blog: The Changing Face of Glasgow
- Bob Law: Scotland Photography – Mirror Images
- Bob Law’s Blog, walking and photography: English Lake District
- Balloch Country Park, Loch Lomond – Bob Law: Walks and Photography
- Bob Law: A Cycling Trip Around West Lothian
- Bob Law’s Blog: Musselburgh, walking and photography