Academic Book Week 2015 at John Smith’s Glasgow University 9 – 13 November
November 9 at 5:30pm to November 13 at 8:30pm
John Smith’s Glasgow University Bookshop, The Fraser Building
Glasgow University Bookshop will host five days of events to mark the latest addition to the university calendar: Academic Book Week.
Running for the first time between the 9th and 13th November 2015, Academic Book Week is “A celebration of the diversity, innovation and influence of academic books.” What better place to celebrate the unique bond between books and learning than your local university bookshop.
Voted Bookshop of the Year by the APS group.
‘Without the keenness and curiosity of students and the support and commitment of university staff we wouldn’t be able to offer the service which we are so proud of. Meanwhile, Academic Book Week gives us a chance to show the general public that we also serve the community at large. Since 1751 John Smith’s has been Glasgow’s homegrown bookseller, and so we shall continue to be (roll on 2051!)’
As a special thank you for your loyalty and a welcome to new visitors, John Smith will be kicking off Academic Book Week with a late opening and a very special offer…
RECEPTION EVENING: On MONDAY 9TH NOVEMBER
5.30pm until 7.30pm
All customers will receive a 10% discount on any item not already discounted. Refreshments will also be provided. This will be an ideal opportunity to get to know the shop and the bookshop staff know how they are doing, whatever your interests.
Events continue through the week…
Tuesday 10th November
The launch of writer and broadcaster Iain Macwhirter’s Tsunami: Scotland’s Democratic Revolution
Wednesday 11th November
A celebration of Edwin Morgan’s contribution to Scottish war poetry for Armistice Day.
Thursday 12th November
Glasgow University Professor of Creative Writing Louise Welsh discusses her new anthology of supernatural stories, Ghost.
See full details
Friday 13th November
We mark the hundredth anniversary of Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity with the Glasgow launch of the physics-inspired short story collection, I Am Because You Are, co-edited by Scottish author and astronomer, Pippa Goldschmidt.
John Smith’s Glasgow University (Fraser Building – opposite University Library)
65 Hillhead St, Glasgow G12 8QF
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow