Academic Book Week 2015 at John Smith’s Glasgow University 9 – 13 November
November 9 at 5:30pm to November 13 at 8:30pm
John Smith’s Glasgow University Bookshop, The Fraser Building
Glasgow University Bookshop will host five days of events to mark the latest addition to the university calendar: Academic Book Week.
Running for the first time between the 9th and 13th November 2015, Academic Book Week is “A celebration of the diversity, innovation and influence of academic books.” What better place to celebrate the unique bond between books and learning than your local university bookshop.
Voted Bookshop of the Year by the APS group.
‘Without the keenness and curiosity of students and the support and commitment of university staff we wouldn’t be able to offer the service which we are so proud of. Meanwhile, Academic Book Week gives us a chance to show the general public that we also serve the community at large. Since 1751 John Smith’s has been Glasgow’s homegrown bookseller, and so we shall continue to be (roll on 2051!)’
As a special thank you for your loyalty and a welcome to new visitors, John Smith will be kicking off Academic Book Week with a late opening and a very special offer…
RECEPTION EVENING: On MONDAY 9TH NOVEMBER
5.30pm until 7.30pm
All customers will receive a 10% discount on any item not already discounted. Refreshments will also be provided. This will be an ideal opportunity to get to know the shop and the bookshop staff know how they are doing, whatever your interests.
Events continue through the week…
Tuesday 10th November
The launch of writer and broadcaster Iain Macwhirter’s Tsunami: Scotland’s Democratic Revolution
Wednesday 11th November
A celebration of Edwin Morgan’s contribution to Scottish war poetry for Armistice Day.
Thursday 12th November
Glasgow University Professor of Creative Writing Louise Welsh discusses her new anthology of supernatural stories, Ghost.
See full details
Friday 13th November
We mark the hundredth anniversary of Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity with the Glasgow launch of the physics-inspired short story collection, I Am Because You Are, co-edited by Scottish author and astronomer, Pippa Goldschmidt.
John Smith’s Glasgow University (Fraser Building – opposite University Library)
65 Hillhead St, Glasgow G12 8QF
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.