Women of Woodlands Support Group
Women of Woodlands Support Group is being launched in memory of Esther Brown.
Mondays 2-4pm from 19th July, 2021
Woodlands Outdoor Events Terrace at 66 Ashley Street, G3 6HW
The group will bring members together for mutual support, collaboration and comfort.
In response to the rape and murder of Esther Brown – dear friend and volunteer at Woodlands Community – a new Women of Woodlands Support Group is being launched.
External facilitator(s) will provide a forum for reflection, rejuvenation and solidarity. The intention is to honour Esther’s way of being through acts of kindness, compassion and collaboration; helping come to terms with Esther’s death.
The first meeting will be on Monday 19th July 2-4pm and will be facilitated by Mary Kennedy.
Due to ongoing covid restrictions, numbers are limited to 16 people so please book in advance via Eventbrite. If you find it difficult to book online please text or call Katherine on 07547402994
‘We recognise that not everyone will be able attend at this time. We are exploring ways in which we can expand our support and meet at other times for both practical and emotional support. If you can’t attend but wish to get involved please email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back in touch once our plans become clearer.’
‘This group has arisen out of an earlier online discussion group that was formed after the murder of Sarah Everard. The group met for the first time in person at the end of May and had decided to embark on a new ‘Women of Woodlands’ initiative. We hope that our newly formed Women of Woodlands Support group, (formed after the murder of Esther), will lead to a longer term project that will help us fulfill Esther’s ambitions for a Woodlands neighbourhood based on friendship, mutual support, safety and equality.’ Woodlands Community.
Esther was a founding member of Woodlands Community Garden and her generous spirit was central to making the community garden a welcoming and inclusive place. For many years she also helped to run the community café and served on Woodlands board of charity trustees.
Memorial Fund – Donations
A physical memorial will be created in memory of Esther and donations are welcome
– Esther was not the sort of person who wanted a fuss made about herself. She would much prefer that any money donated would go to projects that directly help people. The two projects she was most passionate about were Woodlands Community Garden and the Community Café.
So as well as going to meet the costs of a physical memorial, donations to this fund will also be used to
– maintain and enhance Woodlands Community Garden as a place where both people and nature can flourish.
– buy food and other essential supplies to support people in need via Woodlands Community Cafe.
This section: Woodlands Community Garden
Filed under: Woodlands Community Garden
- Woodlands Community Pop Up Cafe on the Terrace
- Women of Woodlands Support Group
- Wellbeing Walks Woodlands Community Glasgow
- Slow Nature Walk, Woodlands Community
- Composting and food waste reduction workshop
- Little Garden Baby Group – Woodlands Community
- Woodlands Anti Racist Community Library Launch
- Woodlands Climate Action 2021 Coffee Chats – COP26 and Local Climate Action
- Slow Nature – Woodlands Community Booklet Launch
- Introduction to Birding With Scott Rogers (V)
- Introductions to birding in Glasgow – with Scott Rogers Part IV(Nature Recovery)
- Zero Waste Sunday Social – fast fashion and textile waste
- Winter Art Club for Kids – Paper Bag Portraits
- Being Together: Book Free Outdoor Space – Woodlands Community Garden
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community
- Breathe Better: Beginners Breathing Workshop
- Fly your flag in Woodlands!
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- To Meat or Not to Meat – Climate Action
- Woodlands Community Family Cycling Bike Seat and Trailer Taster