Bob Law’s Blog: Wood Carving Artworks
Over the past decade, on my travels, I’ve been struck by how elaborate, useful, and eye-catching many benches, outdoor sculptures, and presumably commissioned objects of art have become in recent years.
If you work in the medium of pavement or beach art you know with the next high tide or heavy downpour your creation is liable to disappear… no matter how time consuming, elaborate or complex you make it. With murals or wood art they too will fade or degrade in time but you might possibly get 10 or 20 years out of them before they vanish, get painted over, or fall apart.
Some wood carving examples
Here are some wood carving examples that caught my eye while they were still fresh and pristine.
Of course in nature you often get spectacular examples of beauty as well, apparently random, as complex and precise as any artist can achieve…. making you wonder is it just down to the rules of pure mathematics i.e. frost crystals have to conform to certain shapes, flowers and wildlife are the way they are, in all their breathtaking variety due to natural selection…
Natural Artwork. Base of a CherryTree
or is an overall invisible master designer in charge… as large sections of the human population still believe?
Bob Law, August, 2022
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law: Walk and Photography – Greenock and Gourock Circular
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Knock: A Small Hill Above Largs
- Bob Law’s Blog: Photography and Walks – David Livingstone Centre and River Clyde Walk
- Bob Law’s Walks and Photography: Silverburn to Barrhead
- Bob Law’s Blog: Cuningar Loop and The River Clyde Walkway.
- Bob Law’s Blog: Crookston Castle and Pollok – walking and photography
- Bob Law: The Beauty of Renfrewshire
- Bob Law’s Blog: Isle of Bute – walking and cycling
- Bob Law’s Blog: A Cold Snap
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Appreciation of Autumn
- Bob Law’s Blog: Wood Carving Artworks
- Bob Law’s Blog: The Wonders of Arran
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glamaig, Isle of Skye
- A Walk Around Edinburgh Castle
- Bob Law: The Beauty of Holyrood Park in Edinburgh
- The Beauty of Edinburgh in Spring
- Bob Law: The Other Ridge on Arran
- The Changing Face of Glasgow in 2022
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow City Centre at Night
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow