Barstool philosopher: media bias cannot be avoided so don’t try to hide it
By the time someone has the skills to be a TV or newspaper reporter they already have ingrained views and beliefs. There is no such thing as unbiased news.
What we need is to have people’s philisophical and political leanings clearly laid out – so you can weigh up what they are saying on the basis of what you know about them. Watching CNN these last few days – as the US election unfolded – highlights that and shows a different approach (not a foolproof way – because we live in ‘bubbles’ – but a way nonetheless we don’t have here).
That approach is to have news networks we know to be either ‘liberal’ or ‘right-wing’. Granted, there’s no left wing news in America – but there is at least more than one perspective in the MSM. Here we have mono right-leaning MSM – slightly less so in print – but 100% on TV.
The recent proclamations by the BBC – was about hiding the bias of the network not about balance. There’s no such thing as balance on the BBC – it has a right of centre (sometimes veering to extreme right given that they make stars of people like Farage) worldview and that is reflected in all news and commentary.
Open your mind to the reality that balance does not exist and bias cannot be avoided. Instead of ignoring and hiding – bring it forward, make it obvious. Make it so obvious that you are educating the viewer and therefore empower them to make choices and to understand the basis of those different perspectives.
The Barstool Philosopher
Photo: “1962 – Saigon Girl – Photo by Paul Naples – Đầu đường Hai Bà Trưng, hãng bia BGI” by manhhai CC
This section: Bar Stool Philosopher
Filed under: Bar Stool Philosopher
- Barstool philosopher: media bias cannot be avoided so don’t try to hide it
- The idea of Scots having to ask permission to be independent is frankly ludicrous.
- How to fix a dripping, screaming mixer tap
- Bar Stool Philosopher Looks back at 2016
- The Bar Stool Philosopher Is Seeking The Right Photo
- Bar Stool Philosopher: It’s Time To Grow Up And Leave Home
- Bar Stool Philosopher says, there’s no Whooping craze
- Bar stool philosopher: Songwriting for people who will never have a hit
- The Bar stool philosopher get’s anxious about Scottish Independence
- Ohh to be a writer! The bar stool philosopher
- The Bar Stool Philosopher: Structured inequality, statistics and the individual