Woodlands Garden Autumn News 2013
Autumn is upon us and from this week our communal gardening sessions are changing to new times. These will be Wednesdays from 1pm – 4.30pm and Sundays from 11am – 4.30pm. Despite the change in season, there is plenty still to do in the garden. Over the winter months we will be making some improvements to the communal areas of the garden to help maximize the amount of food we can grow next season – and very soon we shall also be enjoying solar powered lighting in our hub building. The garden sessions are open to all, irrespective of whether you have gardening experience and all equipment is provided – so do pop along if you can (children need to be accompanied by adult).
Bonfire Night Social
The last two years, we have suffered from vandalism in the garden on bonfire night. To prevent this happening, we are holding our own bonfire night with a difference event – with storytelling, soup, fireside cooking, lantern and willow wand making. It’s all happening from 5pm onwards on Tuesday 5th November
Food And Social Support Hubs
We are excited to have three new part-time staff joining us this week – Roz, Soghra and Gillian. They will be working on our new food hub project, that is supported by the Big Lottery Fund. We shall be tackling food poverty and creating stronger links between organisations by establishing and supporting local food and social support hubs. These hubs shall:
– provide free and healthy food in a supportive environment
– host free cookery classes to enable people to learn about cooking healthy food on limited budgets.
– use food as a tool to bringing people and support organisations together to share information and advice.
– encourage peer to peer support through the making of social links and volunteer opportunities
We shall also be providing training to other organisations interested in developing their own growing spaces to help people experiencing hardship. We will be having a launch event later this year to explain more and so will keep you posted.
Bio-Diverse – It’s All About Hedgehogs
There’s two chances for you to learn about hedgehogs this month – join us at our family fun sessions on Wednesdays 23rd and Wednesday 30th October from 4pm – dusk. Help build hedgehog homes and learn what you can do to help these charismatic creatures as they get ready for winter.
And Coming Soon
Some dates and events in November and December for you to save to you diary, more details on these to follow in our next bulletin:
Our new writing group meeting on alternate
Thursday evenings from 6-8pm- beginning on Thursday 12th November
Talking Science Film Nights
two more film and discussion events
Happening on Thursday 21st November and Thursday 19th December from 7-9pm at the Albany Centre.
November’s film night will be themed around the wonders of soil.
Winter Seasonal Celebration
Will be happening on Wednesday 18th December from 3.30pm – 7.30pm. The usual mix of food, entertainment and family friendly fun. More details to follow.
This section: Woodlands Community
Filed under: Woodlands Community
- Woodlands Community Cafe
- Kiss the Ground, Film Screening plus Disussion
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Glasgow: Global Day of Action for Climate Justice
- Anti Racist Group Woodlands Community
- Volunteer Led Bike Ride
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- Woodlands Community Climate Change Summit
- Woodlands Community Pop Up Cafe on the Terrace
- Women of Woodlands Support Group
- Wellbeing Walks Woodlands Community Glasgow
- Slow Nature Walk, Woodlands Community
- Composting and food waste reduction workshop
- Little Garden Baby Group – Woodlands Community
- Woodlands Anti Racist Community Library Launch
- Woodlands Climate Action 2021 Coffee Chats – COP26 and Local Climate Action
- Slow Nature – Woodlands Community Booklet Launch
- Introduction to Birding With Scott Rogers (V)
- Introductions to birding in Glasgow – with Scott Rogers Part IV(Nature Recovery)
- Zero Waste Sunday Social – fast fashion and textile waste