Scottish Pen, Day of the Imprisoned Writer, University of Glasgow 12 November 2015
Thursday, 12th of November, 1pm
University of Glasgow, Room 101, 5 University Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Each year, PEN Centres and members worldwide commemorate the Day of the Imprisoned Writer to raise awareness of the unjust imprisonment and other forms of attack against writers around the globe, to remember those who have been killed, and stand in solidarity with imprisoned and threatened colleagues.
‘November 15 is a day of action and acknowledgement,’ said Marian Botsford Fraser, former Chair of PEN International’s Writers in Prison Committee. ‘It is PEN’s way of saying to all of our 900 imprisoned, harassed, murdered and disappeared writers: you are not silenced. You are not forgotten. We stand with you and fight for you.’
Scottish PEN are marking this year’s Day of the Imprisoned Writer with a reading focused on free speech in Saudi Arabia, which will take place from 1-2pm on Thursday, 12th of November, at 50 George Square, Lecture Theatre G.03. We will be reading extracts of Raif Badawi and Hamza Kasgari’s writing.
Raif Badawi is a Saudi Arabian writer, activist and blogger. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison, 1,000 lashes and a fine.
Hamza Kasgari is a Saudi Arabian poet and former columnist for the daily newspaper al-Bilad. He was jailed for two years without trial for posting three tweets to the prophet Mohammed.
Ali Mohammed al-Nimr is a 21 year old Saudi Arabian student who has been sentenced to death for taking part in Arab Spring protests as a teenager. The sentence is beheading followed by crucifixion.
If you would like read one of the pieces and add your voice to this event, please get in touch at email@example.com
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- A Celebration of Birds: Sharing stories, memories and hope
- Makar to Makar, Jackie Kay with Imtiaz Dharker and Suzanne Bonnar
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT