GFF: 1939 Hooray for Hollywood: Illustrated Talk 22nd Feb. GFT
1939: Hooray for HollywoodN/C 5+
- Saturday 22 February 10.15 a.m.
- GFT, 12 Rose Street
Everyone went to the movies on a weekly basis and the studio system fed that eager audience with some of the best westerns, finest thrillers and most delightful romances ever made. As the news of world events grew increasingly ominous, Hollywood created some of the most beguiling escapist entertainments. This illustrated talk explores the reasons for Hollywood’s annus mirabilis. Before John Wayne rides the range in Stagecoach (Saturday 22 February, 11.00), hear some expert analysis on the greatest of years and have your appetite whetted for the remaining titles in 2014’s retrospective.
Free but ticketed, tickets available from GFT box office on the day.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.