Flowers – poems by Leela Soma
Jewels of summer
A glance from the car at the traffic light
My eyes widen at the jewel strewn scene
Purple and white crocus, narcissi bright
Like amethysts and diamonds that shine.
Green grass with moist sun-touched dew
Like glitter sparkling, under the bare tree.
A north wind whips gusts strong
The infant buds defiant, winter defeated
Spring marches on, warmth revives the cold
Interred buds, waiting to greet the summer heat.
A humble flower bestowed by Mother Nature
shades of white, pink, in still blue, green water or
muddy brown, reeds and willow plants could not mar
its beauty, the complex nature of existence in a flower.
Formed by the milk of Hera the wife of Zeus, motherhood
rebirth signified in its ethereal beauty for the Greeks.
Love and lust of Venus as she witnessed the beauty of the lily
cursed it with a long black pistil to remove its allure.
Nympheas, Fleur de Lys, hope, faith and charity in France.
Chastity, purity of Virgin Mary. The lotus blossom
rising out of the muddy water reflecting purity
perfection of the heart & mind, Buddha’s seat of nirvana.
Garden of Nations
Japanese cherry blossom, boughs bend in pink
Scottish rowan spouts red in autumn
Canadian copper beech, its burnished maroon
English beech, resplendent, in cream and gold.
Peonies from China dipping colours pink and blues
Tulips from Persia stand tall, swaying in the breeze.
Anthurium displays the Hawaiian hospitality
Turkish hyacinth argues with the Asian carnation
their perfume spilling, as the Himalayan rhododendrons
Purple and pink spread riotous, in wild bushes all over.
Leela Soma, April, 2019
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- cocoon by Russell Jones – collection of poems and comic poems
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- David Craig, Scottish Writer – free book offer
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson
- Keeping Time novel by Thomas Legendre
- Much Left Unsaid by Finola Scott – poetry
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020, The August Virgin review Fionnuala Boyle
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Close Up – Susan Wood Exhibition
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Jazz on a Summer’s Day review by Pat Byrne
- The County, Glasgow Film Festival 2020 review by Pat Byrne
- John Byrne’s 80th Birthday Bash, Paisley Book Festival 2020 review by Pat Byrne
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Celtic Connections 2020: This Is Caledonian Soul review by Pauline Keightley
- ‘Where God put the West’ – travelling through the land of the Navajo Ian R Mitchell
- Glasgow Writer: Stuart Cosgrove
- Celtic Connections 2020 Auld Lang Syne Concert review and photos Pauline Keightley