Flowers – poems by Leela Soma
Jewels of summer
A glance from the car at the traffic light
My eyes widen at the jewel strewn scene
Purple and white crocus, narcissi bright
Like amethysts and diamonds that shine.
Green grass with moist sun-touched dew
Like glitter sparkling, under the bare tree.
A north wind whips gusts strong
The infant buds defiant, winter defeated
Spring marches on, warmth revives the cold
Interred buds, waiting to greet the summer heat.
A humble flower bestowed by Mother Nature
shades of white, pink, in still blue, green water or
muddy brown, reeds and willow plants could not mar
its beauty, the complex nature of existence in a flower.
Formed by the milk of Hera the wife of Zeus, motherhood
rebirth signified in its ethereal beauty for the Greeks.
Love and lust of Venus as she witnessed the beauty of the lily
cursed it with a long black pistil to remove its allure.
Nympheas, Fleur de Lys, hope, faith and charity in France.
Chastity, purity of Virgin Mary. The lotus blossom
rising out of the muddy water reflecting purity
perfection of the heart & mind, Buddha’s seat of nirvana.
Garden of Nations
Japanese cherry blossom, boughs bend in pink
Scottish rowan spouts red in autumn
Canadian copper beech, its burnished maroon
English beech, resplendent, in cream and gold.
Peonies from China dipping colours pink and blues
Tulips from Persia stand tall, swaying in the breeze.
Anthurium displays the Hawaiian hospitality
Turkish hyacinth argues with the Asian carnation
their perfume spilling, as the Himalayan rhododendrons
Purple and pink spread riotous, in wild bushes all over.
Leela Soma, April, 2019
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- This is not the time to be the bad angel by Jim Byrne
- Poetry by Hafsah Bashir
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- I Was A Child Of The Thirties – Christina Byrne
- Winter Rain – Derek J. Brown
- Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson review of the launch by Pat Byrne
- Tak Tent (Take Care) Christmas video – Janet Crawford
- Ice on Loch Lomond a poem by Catriona Malan
- Hopes and Fears by James Connarty
- Driving to Mass by Micheal Norton
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Year to Remember – or forget..
- Ruby saves the day by Gillian Mayes
- Book Launch: Weird Pleasure by Jim Ferguson
- Reunion – a poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Book Launch: Murder at the Mela, Leela Soma
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Something for Hallowe’en
- Deep Dive Workshops Stay at Home Literary Festival
- Wash a poem by Nina Quigley