Flowers – poems by Leela Soma
Jewels of summer
A glance from the car at the traffic light
My eyes widen at the jewel strewn scene
Purple and white crocus, narcissi bright
Like amethysts and diamonds that shine.
Green grass with moist sun-touched dew
Like glitter sparkling, under the bare tree.
A north wind whips gusts strong
The infant buds defiant, winter defeated
Spring marches on, warmth revives the cold
Interred buds, waiting to greet the summer heat.
A humble flower bestowed by Mother Nature
shades of white, pink, in still blue, green water or
muddy brown, reeds and willow plants could not mar
its beauty, the complex nature of existence in a flower.
Formed by the milk of Hera the wife of Zeus, motherhood
rebirth signified in its ethereal beauty for the Greeks.
Love and lust of Venus as she witnessed the beauty of the lily
cursed it with a long black pistil to remove its allure.
Nympheas, Fleur de Lys, hope, faith and charity in France.
Chastity, purity of Virgin Mary. The lotus blossom
rising out of the muddy water reflecting purity
perfection of the heart & mind, Buddha’s seat of nirvana.
Garden of Nations
Japanese cherry blossom, boughs bend in pink
Scottish rowan spouts red in autumn
Canadian copper beech, its burnished maroon
English beech, resplendent, in cream and gold.
Peonies from China dipping colours pink and blues
Tulips from Persia stand tall, swaying in the breeze.
Anthurium displays the Hawaiian hospitality
Turkish hyacinth argues with the Asian carnation
their perfume spilling, as the Himalayan rhododendrons
Purple and pink spread riotous, in wild bushes all over.
Leela Soma, April, 2019
- Poetry by Maryam Raza
- A Scottish Soldier Foresees His Death by Frankie Gault
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Interview with debut author Evelyne Lawrie
- A Letter to Prophet Muhammad ( pbuh) – Rizwan Akhtar
- An Evening With Louise Welsh – The Second Cut
- A Valentine’s Day Poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Home Grown In Glasgow – a poem for International Women’s Day by Ruby McCann
- The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
- On the West Highland Line – Linda Jackson
- Poetry for Valentine’s Day by Donna Campbell
- Poetry for Valentine’s Day by Finola Scott
- Flash Fiction for Valentine’s Day – Leela Soma
- Ruby McCann – Glasgow Writer
- a serenade for Lahore’s Rain – Rizwan Akhtar
- Twelve Days of Christmas – Leela Soma
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- To Move On – short story by Samina Chaudry
- The Angel Beds by Michael Crossan
- The Fortune Teller by Pat Byrne
- Hopes and Fears by James Connarty