Bob Law’s Blog: Walking and Photography Old Kilpatrick and Goldenhill
Clyde Coastal Path
This is a walk that many people might not think of doing as I certainly didn’t until very recently but it turned out to be both interesting and varied. It is a section of the Clyde Coastal Path from Old Kilpatrick to Goldenhill in Duntocher with several different possibilities or options. Route one is the shortest and easiest. Take the train to Old Kilpatrick Station then walk up to the farm track leading into hills but turn right at a small gas plant onto level farm track skirting the foot of the Kilpatrick Hill range. This is signposted as the Clyde Coastal Path and a large car park, for the hills, is close by for those arriving by car.
Duntocher and Goldenhill
Most folk head up the hills from here but this level walk is also worthwhile. This path skirts the edge of several fields, travels arrow straight through the village of Duntocher and climbs Goldenhill to the remains of the Antonine Wall and Roman fort that stood here 2000 years ago. It is also a fine viewpoint.
Return to Old Kilpatrick
Route one departs the hill through an opening south at the flagpole and returns to Old Kilpatrick via the pavement alongside the A82. Those wishing a further walk can include the scenic Lusset Glen and the Erskine Bridge for further views on the return.
A third option for train users is to continue on from Goldenhill using farm minor roads/ tracks past Drumchapel to Bearsden Station following the line of the Antonine Wall. This is only a solid line on the OS map as not much is visible after all this time but the hills the forts stood on are easily identified. This was the western edge of the Roman Empire and a world heritage site.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- The Beauty of Edinburgh in Spring
- Bob Law: The Other Ridge on Arran
- The Changing Face of Glasgow in 2022
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow City Centre at Night
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: North Berwick to Gullane Walk – The Sunshine Coast
- Bob Law’s Blog: Old Kilpatrick. Lusset Glen to Bowling Walk
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking and Photography Old Kilpatrick and Goldenhill
- Bob Law’s Blog: Evening Escapades
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Kilpatrick Hills balcony trails
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glennifer Braes Walks
- Bob Law: Gardens of Eden
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Scotland has some colourful birds
- Bob Law: Walks in Glasgow – Anniesland and Knightswood
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow’s Quieter Parks
- Bob Law: North Pollok Walk, Glasgow
- Bob Law: Blog – Make The Most of Autumn in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: Rouken Glen – A Park For All Seasons
- Dumbarton to Balloch along the River Leven
- Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow