Bob Law’s Blog, walking and photography: English Lake District
The Beauty of the English Lake District
A weekend or even a day trip to the English Lake District has always been rewarding for me.
It’s a beautiful compact area of lakes and mountains but it also includes many attractive small towns and villages, numerous shopping opportunities, low level sight seeing, top class restaurants, cheery pubs, and fish and chip shops.
Due to hundreds of shops and year round tourists, competition for footfall is fierce so I’ve always found prices very reasonable . It’s sometimes possible to snap up a real bargain in the charity shops or outdoor clothing outlets.
Attractive as the shopping may be, the main reason for going is the walking – the area provides many opportunities and it’s only two hours from Glasgow.
There are hundreds of footpaths from flat low level stuff to serious mountain peaks and scrambling but all of them are top quality and delightful. This time we concentrated on the Ullswater- Glenridding area, reached down the M6 Motorway to Penrith then the A592 to Glenridding. At any time of year the Lake District is a colourful place- a golden enchanted bubble- with centuries of history, money and tourism moulding the landscape into visual perfection.
It can be busy at times but no worse nowadays than the Scottish Highlands in summer. If you avoid the A591 running down Windermere and the road across to Kendal,( traffic and tourist bottlenecks with cars coming up from the cities down south), and arrive in the parking places for the hills before 10:00am during the weekends it’s usually fine. Same goes for Scotland these days though.
Late October in the Lake District is a treat. The trees and hillsides have many autumn colours as there are plenty of parks and grand estates everywhere, many have been planted and grounds specially designed to improve the view.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law’s blog: The Changing Face of Glasgow
- Bob Law: Scotland Photography – Mirror Images
- Bob Law’s Blog, walking and photography: English Lake District
- Balloch Country Park, Loch Lomond – Bob Law: Walks and Photography
- Bob Law: A Cycling Trip Around West Lothian
- Bob Law’s Blog: Musselburgh, walking and photography
- Bob Law’s Blog: Ayr Beach – walking and photography
- Bob Law Photography and Walking in Scotland: The John Muir Way
- Bob Law: a selection of photos taken around Glasgow city
- Bob Law: The Pentlands Gallery
- Bob Law Photography: Winter in Scotland, Cnoc Coinnich Day Out
- Bob Law’s photography: The Colours of Autumn in Scotland
- Bob Law’s outdoor blog Scotland: Corra Linn Waterfalls and New Lanark
- Bob Law Blog: Kayaking on Loch Ard
- Bob Law: A Celebration of Spring in Scotland – May, 2017
- Bob Law: Torridon – Collecting Corbetts in the Scottish Mountains
- Bob Law blog and photography: Edinburgh Lights at Christmas
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking around Burntisland,The Binn, Kinghorn and Firth of Forth
- Bob Law’s Blog: Autumn Colours in Glasgow’s West End
- Bob Law’s blog: A Trip to Gourock and Dunoon