Aye Write: sex in the afternoon. Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars 18 April
Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars: Sex in the Afternoon
18th Apr 2015 • 4:30PM – 5:30PM
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
How can we express our desires? What stops us? Sex in all its joy, pain and glory at Aye Write!
Join Forward Prize winning writer Kei Miller, spoken word and multidisciplinary artist Malika Booker and performance maker and curator Rachel Mars for an afternoon treat. These three acclaimed writers share poetry and prose that explores and exposes sex in all its joy, pain and glory, followed by an open and frank Q&A with the audience plus sexuality researcher Dr Lena Wånggren. How can we express our desires? What stops us? Curated and produced by People Brands Events and presented as part of Wellcome Collection’s Sexology Season.
Kei Miller was born in Jamaica in 1978. He was educated at the University of the West Indies and Manchester Metropolitan University. He has published collections of poetry including ‘Carcanet: There is an Anger that Moves’ and ‘A Light Song of Light’. He teaches Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
Malika Booker’s poems are widely published in anthologies and journals including, “Bittersweet: Contemporary Black Women’s Poetry,” “Black & Asian Poets,” “Out of Bounds,” “”and “Ten New Poets.” She has represented British writing internationally, both independently and with the British Council, and has written for the stage and radio. She was the first Poet in Residence at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Rachel Mars is a performance maker with a background in theatre, live art and comedy. She works as a solo artist and also collaborates with a range of artists including nat tarrab as mars.tarrab. She curates occasional programmes of art and culture for JW3 London.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Calton Ceilidh anthology by Ruby McCann
- COP26: Towards Net Zero – speakers and discussion
- Climate Emergency Newsroom, University of Glasgow
- Samantha Walton Creative Conversations