Aye Write: sex in the afternoon. Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars 18 April
Kei Miller, Malika Booker and Rachel Mars: Sex in the Afternoon
18th Apr 2015 • 4:30PM – 5:30PM
The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
How can we express our desires? What stops us? Sex in all its joy, pain and glory at Aye Write!
Join Forward Prize winning writer Kei Miller, spoken word and multidisciplinary artist Malika Booker and performance maker and curator Rachel Mars for an afternoon treat. These three acclaimed writers share poetry and prose that explores and exposes sex in all its joy, pain and glory, followed by an open and frank Q&A with the audience plus sexuality researcher Dr Lena Wånggren. How can we express our desires? What stops us? Curated and produced by People Brands Events and presented as part of Wellcome Collection’s Sexology Season.
Kei Miller was born in Jamaica in 1978. He was educated at the University of the West Indies and Manchester Metropolitan University. He has published collections of poetry including ‘Carcanet: There is an Anger that Moves’ and ‘A Light Song of Light’. He teaches Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
Malika Booker’s poems are widely published in anthologies and journals including, “Bittersweet: Contemporary Black Women’s Poetry,” “Black & Asian Poets,” “Out of Bounds,” “”and “Ten New Poets.” She has represented British writing internationally, both independently and with the British Council, and has written for the stage and radio. She was the first Poet in Residence at the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Rachel Mars is a performance maker with a background in theatre, live art and comedy. She works as a solo artist and also collaborates with a range of artists including nat tarrab as mars.tarrab. She curates occasional programmes of art and culture for JW3 London.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire