Aye Write Festival 2014: Mark Z Danielewski and Ben Marcus: What The Novel Did Next, Friday 12th April
Mark Z Danielewski and Ben Marcus: What The Novel Did Next
12 Apr 2014 • 6:00 P.M – 7:00 P.M • Mitchell Library, North Street
Two of the most innovative of American novelists show us that the form is far from dead.
It is a privilege to welcome to Glasgow two of the most innovative of contemporary American novelists. Mark Z Danielewski’s House of Leaves is already a classic: the story of a drifter who steals a book written by a blind man about a film showing a house with impossible geometry. The Flame Alphabet by Ben Marcus is set in a world where children’s language has become toxic. Gripping storytelling and big ideas show us that the novel is far from dead.
New York born Mark Danielewski first novel, House of Leaves gained a considerable cult following and won the New York Public Library’s Young Lions Fiction Award. His second novel, Only Revolutions, was released in 2006 was a finalist in the U.S. National Book Award.
Ben Marcus is the author of four books of fiction: Notable American Women, The Father Costume, The Age of Wire and String, and The Flame Alphabet and his new novel, Leaving the Sea. He has written short stories, essays, and reviews for publications such as Harper’s, The New Yorker, Granta, The New York Times and more.
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Calton Ceilidh anthology by Ruby McCann
- COP26: Towards Net Zero – speakers and discussion
- Climate Emergency Newsroom, University of Glasgow
- Samantha Walton Creative Conversations
- Ann McLaren at Balloch Open Mic 1 November, 2021
- Creative Conversations: Frances Poet
- Landscapes Without Figures, The American South West by Ian R. Mitchell
- Scottish Poetry Library: Launch Poetry London 100th edition
- Talks, The Hunterian, Black History Month 2021
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson