Don Share, Talk and Reading, 11th March, University of Glasgow
American poet, editor, and scholar, Dr Don Share, editor of Poetry magazine (Chicago) and former head of the Harvard Poetry Series, will be giving a talk and reading this coming Tuesday, March 11, at 5.30pm.
Room 101, the Edwin Morgan Room, at 5 University Gardens, G12
All are welcome.
Don Short – Information and Bio
“Poetry and Place: Forms of Union and Separation” – British and American poetry are separated not only by an ocean, but by a deep divergence of aesthetics , tradition, experience, and culture. Such separations are fruitful and necessary – but various forms of convergence are not only possible but inevitable, if not desirable. These issues will be broadly explored in a reading/lecture that follows a personal record of travel and movement that begins in the American South and ends in no fixed place.
Don Share is Editor of Poetry magazine. His most recent books include Wishbone (Black Sparrow), Union (Eyewear Publishing), and Bunting’s Persia (Flood Editions), a 2012 Guardian Book of the Year and Paris Review Editors’ Choice selection; he has also edited a forthcoming critical edition of Bunting’s work for Faber and Faber. His translations of Miguel Hernández were awarded the Times Literary Supplement Translation Prize and Premio Valle Inclán, and were recently republished in a revised and expanded edition by New York Review Books. His other books include Seneca in English (Penguin Classics), a translation of Darío Jaramillo Agudelo’s Field Guide (Marick Press), and The Open Door: 100 Poems, 100 Years of POETRY Magazine (University of Chicago Press), edited with Christian Wiman.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11