Fundraiser: Statue for Mary Barbour – Gala Concert – 21 February, 2016, Old Fruitmarket
Gala Concert – Raising Funds to create statue of Mary Barbour, 1915 Rent Strike leader
A major Gala Concert has been announced to raise funds to create the statue of 1915 Rent Strike leader, and political activist, Mary Barbour.
21 February, 2016
Old Fruitmarket, Candleriggs
The concert, which is scheduled for 21 February, 7.30 p.m., in Glasgow’s Old Fruitmarket, will feature some of Scotland’s leading performers in a great night of entertainment, song and music.
Tickets: £25, from the Glasgow Concert Halls box office. 0141 353 8000
Maria Fyfe, Chair of the Remember Mary Barbour Association said. “We’ve planned this major concert to celebrate Mary’s life and work. It is part of our continuing campaign to create an appropriate tribute to one of Glasgow’s greatest heroes. Following the unveiling of the five statue maquettes, we are busy circulating them, ensuring as many people as possible get the chance to have their say. They’ll be on show at the concert.
“We have been fundraising for just over a year now and are more than halfway to our target of £110,000. So we’ve asked Fairpley to put together this concert. It will be simultaneously a major method of raising the funds to fill the gap, a huge public display of support for this project and, of course, a great night out!”
Mary Barbour led the successful rent strike of 1915 and went on to play a leading role in the labour movement as a Glasgow Councillor and energetic social reformer. Following an extensive campaign to have her contribution recognised, five sculptors were shortlisted to create a statue of her to be placed in her community of Govan. So far each has created a maquette of a proposed statue .
These were unveiled in November and are being toured across Glasgow from then until February. More information on Facebook
Remember Mary Barbour – Gala Concert , Sunday 21 February, 2016, 7.30pm,Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow, G1 1NQ
- The Great Street Play and The Big Lunch, Queen Margaret Drive, West End Festival 2018
- Glasgow Mela 2018
- The National Theatre of Scotland presents: The Reason I Jump, West End Festival 2018
- CCA, Art School Fire – Events: new venues, postponements and cancellations.
- All Dayer OranMor, West End Festival 2018
- Museum of the Moon, West End Festival 2018
- West End Festival – What a Start
- The 5th Annual Champipunship, OranMor
- Indepen-dance Summer Shindig 2018
- Glasgow Jazz Festival 2018
- Pride Glasgow 2018
- Kittlin and the Carlton 3, West End Festival
- The Big Sunday, West End Festival
- Take One Action Film Festival Not Without Us, CCA
- Light up Gaza, Glasgow
- Light Up Gaza, Fundraiser, Glasgow
- Craft Cafe Summer Ball at Pearce Institute
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- Lazy Saturday Afternoon, Friends of the River Kelvin at West End Festival
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018