Fundraiser: Statue for Mary Barbour – Gala Concert – 21 February, 2016, Old Fruitmarket
Gala Concert – Raising Funds to create statue of Mary Barbour, 1915 Rent Strike leader
A major Gala Concert has been announced to raise funds to create the statue of 1915 Rent Strike leader, and political activist, Mary Barbour.
21 February, 2016
Old Fruitmarket, Candleriggs
The concert, which is scheduled for 21 February, 7.30 p.m., in Glasgow’s Old Fruitmarket, will feature some of Scotland’s leading performers in a great night of entertainment, song and music.
Tickets: £25, from the Glasgow Concert Halls box office. 0141 353 8000
Maria Fyfe, Chair of the Remember Mary Barbour Association said. “We’ve planned this major concert to celebrate Mary’s life and work. It is part of our continuing campaign to create an appropriate tribute to one of Glasgow’s greatest heroes. Following the unveiling of the five statue maquettes, we are busy circulating them, ensuring as many people as possible get the chance to have their say. They’ll be on show at the concert.
“We have been fundraising for just over a year now and are more than halfway to our target of £110,000. So we’ve asked Fairpley to put together this concert. It will be simultaneously a major method of raising the funds to fill the gap, a huge public display of support for this project and, of course, a great night out!”
Mary Barbour led the successful rent strike of 1915 and went on to play a leading role in the labour movement as a Glasgow Councillor and energetic social reformer. Following an extensive campaign to have her contribution recognised, five sculptors were shortlisted to create a statue of her to be placed in her community of Govan. So far each has created a maquette of a proposed statue .
These were unveiled in November and are being toured across Glasgow from then until February. More information on Facebook
Remember Mary Barbour – Gala Concert , Sunday 21 February, 2016, 7.30pm,Old Fruitmarket, Glasgow, G1 1NQ
- Introduction to Study at Glasgow School of Art
- Dandiya Nights, Milngavie Town Hall October 2018
- Bloody Scotland, 2018
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival, School of Rock, Blythswood Hall.
- The Mask of Zorro, Blythswood Hall, Glasgow
- STAGE Multimedia Exhibition
- SUPER Market Glasgow 2018
- Pollok House, Glasgow Doors Open Days, Craft Fair
- Wild Harvest, Native Trees and Fruit, Locavore Guided Walk and Discussion
- Cheeky Besoms Speakeasy and Open Mic Night Glasgow
- Pollokshaws Community Carnival 2018
- Scotland’s Food and Drink Fortnight 2018
- Six and a Tanner, OranMor
- Young People invited to Meet Mhairi Black M.P., Clydebank
- Medical Aid for Palestinians, Evening at Sloans Glasgow
- Late Night: Superbad, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Graduate Degree Show, 2018, Glasgow School of Art
- Jim Byrne, The Basement Jam, Tennent’s Bar, Glasgow
- Museums at Night, Glasgow, October, 2018
- Glasgow Canal Festival 2018