Mary Barbour Gala Concert Line Up Announced
Acts announced for Mary Barbour Gala Concert
21 February, 2016 – Old Fruitmarket
Tickets: £25, from the Glasgow Concert Halls box office. Buy tickets online Telephone: 0141 353 8000.
A galaxy of stars will play at the Gala Concert to raise money for a statue to Govan Rent Strike leader, Mary Barbour, it was announced today. The concert, which is scheduled for 21 February in Glasgow’s Old Fruitmarket, will feature a number of great performers for a night of entertainment, song and music.
Compering the show is comedian and presenter, Susan Morrison, and the guest list will include folk legends, Sheena Wellington, and Arthur Johnstone, rising singer and musician Siobhan Miller, Scottish legends The Whistlebinkies, Gaelic singing star, Maeve Mackinnon, harmonica supremo, Fraser Speirs, and folk-rock recording artists, The Wakes.
A local Govan-based community choir – the Govan Allsorts, led by musician Lesley Robertson – have also been called in to bring Mary’s community centre stage! Further special guests are anticipated.
Compere, Susan Morrison said:
“It has long been the case that the role of women activists in the struggle for decent conditions has been overlooked. Its great that we are helping an important move to redress that, and that so many wonderful artists are keen to help.”
Maria Fyfe, Chair of the Remember Mary Barbour Association said:
“This concert has taken off and looks like being a superb celebration of Mary’s life and work. Isn’t this a great way to raise much-needed funds, display the huge support for this project and have a great night out?”
Mary Barbour led the successful rent strike of 1915 and went on to play a leading role in the labour movement as a Glasgow Councillor and energetic social reformer. Following an extensive campaign to have her contribution recognised, five sculptors were shortlisted to create a statue of her to be placed in her community of Govan. So far each has created a maquette of a proposed statue . These were unveiled in November and are being toured across Glasgow from then until February.
- Urban Potentials Exhibition Launch
- Halloween 2021 – Spooktacular Walk, Glasgow Green
- Listening Party Launch – Jim Byrne’s E.P. ‘4 Country & Folk Songs’
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Publishing Scotland Fiction Showcase
- Linda Jaxson Band at Websters
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- African Wall Art and Stories by Lantern Light
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2021
- Black History Month, Being A Black Woman in Society Today
- The Great Black History Quiz CRER
- Talks, The Hunterian, Black History Month 2021
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Black History Month
- COP26 Glasgow Trade Union and Workers Bloc
- Art for Africa in memory of Rony Bridges
- Denise Mina, Creative Conversations
- Nature Stories with Emily Dodd, The Children’s Wood
- Black Histories on Film at Glasgow Film Theatre 2021
- BFI London Film Festival 2021 at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Last Night in Soho, Glasgow Film Theatre