The Book of Blaise – Book Launch! Friday, October 9, 2015, Waterstones Byres Road Glasgow
The Book of Blaise – Book Launch!
Friday, October 9, 2015
Waterstones Byres Road
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8AU
When Emeritus Compere of DisComBoBuLaTe, Ian Macpherson finished The Book of Blaise, he offered it to Penguin Classics. ‘Sorry,’ they said, ‘but it takes weeks these days to become a classic. Weeks.’
So he tried Gideon. They’ve done pretty well with The Bible over the years, and hotel double bedrooms do have two bedside tables. Bible. Book of Blaise. Perfect? Not so. It doesn’t, apparently, fit with the brand.
He was about to reconcile himself to the ignominy of a three-book deal with Harper Collins, but was saved from the living hell of mainstream success by Cloudberry Books, legendary publishers of The Autobiography of Ireland’s Greatest Living Genius, How To Write An Experimental Novel That Doesn’t Sell And Keeps On Not Selling, and Val Doonican – The Unvarnished Truth!
Cloudberry Books would love it if you could come to the launch party.
Alan Bissett will introduce the author, who will read some of the book’s steamier passages; all of which were instigated by his other guest, Magi Gibson. Magi will also be providing refreshments and professional laughter. She would also like to point out that any resemblance between herself and Blaise, the eponymous menopausal poet, is purely coincidental.
Can’t make the launch but would love the book? There will be launches in Edinburgh and Dublin, but you can get the book direct.
Cloudberrybooks@gmail.com and they’ll organise it. £8.99 plus postage.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End