The Book of Blaise – Book Launch! Friday, October 9, 2015, Waterstones Byres Road Glasgow
The Book of Blaise – Book Launch!
Friday, October 9, 2015
Waterstones Byres Road
351-355 Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8AU
When Emeritus Compere of DisComBoBuLaTe, Ian Macpherson finished The Book of Blaise, he offered it to Penguin Classics. ‘Sorry,’ they said, ‘but it takes weeks these days to become a classic. Weeks.’
So he tried Gideon. They’ve done pretty well with The Bible over the years, and hotel double bedrooms do have two bedside tables. Bible. Book of Blaise. Perfect? Not so. It doesn’t, apparently, fit with the brand.
He was about to reconcile himself to the ignominy of a three-book deal with Harper Collins, but was saved from the living hell of mainstream success by Cloudberry Books, legendary publishers of The Autobiography of Ireland’s Greatest Living Genius, How To Write An Experimental Novel That Doesn’t Sell And Keeps On Not Selling, and Val Doonican – The Unvarnished Truth!
Cloudberry Books would love it if you could come to the launch party.
Alan Bissett will introduce the author, who will read some of the book’s steamier passages; all of which were instigated by his other guest, Magi Gibson. Magi will also be providing refreshments and professional laughter. She would also like to point out that any resemblance between herself and Blaise, the eponymous menopausal poet, is purely coincidental.
Can’t make the launch but would love the book? There will be launches in Edinburgh and Dublin, but you can get the book direct.
Cloudberrybooks@gmail.com and they’ll organise it. £8.99 plus postage.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow