The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
8 December, 2019 – 4 p.m. – 11 p.m.
The Ice Box Arts and Music Centre, St Luke’s Business Estate, Gorbals, Glasgow G5 0TS
FYI Men in Glasgow and surrounding!
“Too many men in Scotland have lost their lives this year alone, and the staff at NHC / The Ice Box, and some friends of ours within the local area have felt some of those losses personally. We have been to too many funerals this year, and we have decided we’re absolutely not okay with that.
It has to stop.
The men of Scotland, both young and old, need to learn it’s okay to chat about mental health issues, and it’s okay to talk to each other about them too, so to this end we have a selection of guest speakers being announced all this week, talking about their own lives, their own demons, and how they tackled them, interspersed with a selection of cracking entertainment, because we want you to enjoy the night too, as well as take something important away from it.
Expect a night of music, comedy, food, burlesque, giveaways, talks and more. All ticket money will be donated to a Scottish mental Health charity which will be chosen this week.
We have guys coming to share their incredible stories from the cusp of committing suicide gripped by loneliness, anxiety, depression and/or addiction to their current state of good mental health and contentment. One of these guys drank weed killer. All of them have considered suicide. They’ll be sharing how they grabbed their mental health by the scrotum and what they do to maintain this day to day so you can learn how to change how you feel n to see for yourself that nomatter how bad you think it might be, it’s all fixable. Every bit of it. Suicide doesn’t have to ever be an option and you’ll see you’re not alone anymore.
No more existing, time to start living!
Guest speakers will include:
Scott Craig of DC Fitness – Full time coach @ Gym G5 Glasgow who’s went from alcohol to Ironman during 7 years sober and helping others achieve their goals
Andy Graydon of AG Fitness – https://t.co/VvhS96AI9g Body image.
It’s something I’ve struggled with for years and I feel like it’s spoken about a lot with women but never really with men.
Bad Guy Brand – looking after yourself when you canny be fucked n signs your pals aren’t OK. After 15 years of working in the hair and barbering industry I feel pretty well versed in talking about mental health. The barbershop and salon is often regarded as a place where people can open up and talk about any issues they have in confidence. Our job is often considered just making people look good but it’s more about making them feel good, or at the least feel a bit better. Can talk about dealing with my own MH, how helping others helps me and how my brands identity helped me process my own anxiety and channel it into a more motivated mindset.
Mark Edgar of Drink wise age well – signs of suicidal thoughts, how to ask someone if they are suicidal n what to do if they say yes
Gary Faulds – Comedian who started a men’s anxiety group. Anxiety n depression in men n how to talk about it
Graham Wilson of Back Onside – https://t.co/0OHp6sWhf7 I will talk about my drinking day’s and what my life was like during them. Basically the reason I was drinking the way I was was because my mental health was gubbed. I will talk about how I continue to beat the booze and how I try and stay on top of my mental health. I am also a patron for @BackOnside
Chris Renfrew will be compering
Wayyy more to be announced but get right involved in this. Share it far and wide. It could save you or a pals life.”
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Health and Fitness
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne