Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
2 December, 2019, 7 p.m.
The Old Hairdressers, Renfield Lane, Glasgow G2 5AR
Join Gerry Cambridge & guests Cheryl Follon and Gerald Mangan at the launch of Gerry Cambridge’s new book, The Light Acknowledgers & Other Poems, his first for seven years. With an introduction (and no doubt a poem) by poet & animateur Michael Pedersen. Music (blues, mainly) by Gerald Mangan, with Gerry Cambridge accompanying him on Mississippi saxophone (aka, harmonica).
Gerry Cambridge edits the internationally respected poetry journal The Dark Horse. The Light Acknowledgers is his sixth book of poems. He is also an essayist, print designer and typographer, with a background in natural history photography. https://www.gerrycambridge.com
Cheryl Follon has published three books of poems with Bloodaxe, the latest being Santiago. A fourth collection is in preparation. Originally from Ayrshire, she now lives and works in Glasgow.
Gerald Mangan recentlly returned to Glasgow to live after 40 years in France, near Paris. A poet, dramatist and essayist, among other things he is also a superb caricaturist and artist, well known for his marvellous detailed and affectionate caricatures of poets and literary figures. Some can be seen here: https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/artists/gerald-mangan.
Michael Pedersen has published two collections to date with Polygon, Play With Me and Oyster, the latter in part a collaboration with the late lamented singer-songwriter Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit. Much new work is in preparation. Well known on the spoken word scene in Scotland and beyond, he is also a vibrant cultural presence and a co-founder with Kevin Williamson of literary/cultural powerhouse Neu! Reekie! in Edinburgh.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- Short Attention Span Theatre during Lockdown
- Creative Conversations Zoom Event Will Harris
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Creative Conversations – Dean Atta Virtual Format Monday 20 April, 2020
- Future Stories – Scottish Book Trust
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis