Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
2 December, 2019, 7 p.m.
The Old Hairdressers, Renfield Lane, Glasgow G2 5AR
Join Gerry Cambridge & guests Cheryl Follon and Gerald Mangan at the launch of Gerry Cambridge’s new book, The Light Acknowledgers & Other Poems, his first for seven years. With an introduction (and no doubt a poem) by poet & animateur Michael Pedersen. Music (blues, mainly) by Gerald Mangan, with Gerry Cambridge accompanying him on Mississippi saxophone (aka, harmonica).
Gerry Cambridge edits the internationally respected poetry journal The Dark Horse. The Light Acknowledgers is his sixth book of poems. He is also an essayist, print designer and typographer, with a background in natural history photography. https://www.gerrycambridge.com
Cheryl Follon has published three books of poems with Bloodaxe, the latest being Santiago. A fourth collection is in preparation. Originally from Ayrshire, she now lives and works in Glasgow.
Gerald Mangan recentlly returned to Glasgow to live after 40 years in France, near Paris. A poet, dramatist and essayist, among other things he is also a superb caricaturist and artist, well known for his marvellous detailed and affectionate caricatures of poets and literary figures. Some can be seen here: https://www.nationalgalleries.org/art-and-artists/artists/gerald-mangan.
Michael Pedersen has published two collections to date with Polygon, Play With Me and Oyster, the latter in part a collaboration with the late lamented singer-songwriter Scott Hutchison of Frightened Rabbit. Much new work is in preparation. Well known on the spoken word scene in Scotland and beyond, he is also a vibrant cultural presence and a co-founder with Kevin Williamson of literary/cultural powerhouse Neu! Reekie! in Edinburgh.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA