Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
An entertaining night! Session A9 are a multi-talented band led by fiddler Charlie Mckerron – striking music with four top fiddlers. The band treated us to a variety of slow airs, songs, reels and jigs, with feet dancing rhythms and bows swinging with powerhouse dynamism! There were also slow melancholy tunes.
Included was a Ross Ainslie number and some new tunes by Charles Mckerron. Fiddler, Adam Sutherland spoke of his composition commissioned for New Voices in 2004. Meanwhile guitarist Marc Clement sang a couple of country folk songs – ‘These Days’, ‘Take away the well so deep.’ For their encore the band performed the very fitting ‘One for the Road.’
There was enjoyable funny banter among the band. Brian McAlpine spoke of the 25 years of Celtic tradition and culture, to sell our culture on and how it was amazing what had been achieved. He offered a big thanks to all involved with putting on the festival including those working behind the scenes. He spoke of the scope and breadth of the festival and wondered where the festival might be in 25 years time!
The players consisted of – Charlie Mckerron – Fiddle, Gordon Gunn – Fiddle & Mandolin, Adam Sutherland – Fiddle, Kevin Henderson – Fiddle, Brian McAlpine – Piano, David Robertson – Percussion and Marc Clement – Guitar & Vocals.
Session A9 played a residency at Epcot and celebrated their fist decade with the album ‘Paths That Wind’. They were voted ‘Best Live Act 2012’ at the Scottish Trad Awards.
Review and Photos by Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Great Western Festival of Musical Exploration and Discovery
- East End Free Festival Glasgow
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA