Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
An entertaining night! Session A9 are a multi-talented band led by fiddler Charlie Mckerron – striking music with four top fiddlers. The band treated us to a variety of slow airs, songs, reels and jigs, with feet dancing rhythms and bows swinging with powerhouse dynamism! There were also slow melancholy tunes.
Included was a Ross Ainslie number and some new tunes by Charles Mckerron. Fiddler, Adam Sutherland spoke of his composition commissioned for New Voices in 2004. Meanwhile guitarist Marc Clement sang a couple of country folk songs – ‘These Days’, ‘Take away the well so deep.’ For their encore the band performed the very fitting ‘One for the Road.’
There was enjoyable funny banter among the band. Brian McAlpine spoke of the 25 years of Celtic tradition and culture, to sell our culture on and how it was amazing what had been achieved. He offered a big thanks to all involved with putting on the festival including those working behind the scenes. He spoke of the scope and breadth of the festival and wondered where the festival might be in 25 years time!
The players consisted of – Charlie Mckerron – Fiddle, Gordon Gunn – Fiddle & Mandolin, Adam Sutherland – Fiddle, Kevin Henderson – Fiddle, Brian McAlpine – Piano, David Robertson – Percussion and Marc Clement – Guitar & Vocals.
Session A9 played a residency at Epcot and celebrated their fist decade with the album ‘Paths That Wind’. They were voted ‘Best Live Act 2012’ at the Scottish Trad Awards.
Review and Photos by Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Howlin’ Radio at Finsbay Glasgow West End
- Seven Song Club The Tron Duncan McCrone
- Pete Case and Sid Griffin, Nice n Sleazy
- Country Funk Fridays – Reopening Tennent’s Bar Basement
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Lavinia Blackwall & Stilton, Lynnie Carson & The Hawking Gimmiks
- Celtic Connections 2020: This Is Caledonian Soul review by Pauline Keightley
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- Thank Funk It’s Valentine’s Day
- Celtic Connections 2020 Auld Lang Syne Concert review and photos Pauline Keightley
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020