Session A9 Celtic Connections 2018 review and photographs by Pauline Keightley
An entertaining night! Session A9 are a multi-talented band led by fiddler Charlie Mckerron – striking music with four top fiddlers. The band treated us to a variety of slow airs, songs, reels and jigs, with feet dancing rhythms and bows swinging with powerhouse dynamism! There were also slow melancholy tunes.
Included was a Ross Ainslie number and some new tunes by Charles Mckerron. Fiddler, Adam Sutherland spoke of his composition commissioned for New Voices in 2004. Meanwhile guitarist Marc Clement sang a couple of country folk songs – ‘These Days’, ‘Take away the well so deep.’ For their encore the band performed the very fitting ‘One for the Road.’
There was enjoyable funny banter among the band. Brian McAlpine spoke of the 25 years of Celtic tradition and culture, to sell our culture on and how it was amazing what had been achieved. He offered a big thanks to all involved with putting on the festival including those working behind the scenes. He spoke of the scope and breadth of the festival and wondered where the festival might be in 25 years time!
The players consisted of – Charlie Mckerron – Fiddle, Gordon Gunn – Fiddle & Mandolin, Adam Sutherland – Fiddle, Kevin Henderson – Fiddle, Brian McAlpine – Piano, David Robertson – Percussion and Marc Clement – Guitar & Vocals.
Session A9 played a residency at Epcot and celebrated their fist decade with the album ‘Paths That Wind’. They were voted ‘Best Live Act 2012’ at the Scottish Trad Awards.
Review and Photos by Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Linda Jaxson Band at Websters
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Sunday Blues Muse at Caffeine
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Siobhan Miller at Websters Theatre
- Govan Stones Music Festival
- Riverside Festival 2021
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- The Carlton Jug Band and The Rulers of The Root
- Heidi Talbot and Boo Hewerdine at Websters Theatre
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- Joy Dunlop – Gaelic Live Online Concert and Ceilidh
- Smokehead Sessions – Dave Arcari Wildcats
- Lizzie Reid at Stirling Tolbooth Shindig Online
- The Everything Thing by Jim McAteer – Single Launch
- Carlton Sessions
- St Patrick’s Day Special: The Great Irish Songbook
- February Noise – Refuweegee