Mary Irvine’s blog: A Stimulating Day – Editing Workshop with Alan McMunnigall, Centre for Open Studies, University of Glasgow
Recently attended another day school at the University of Glasgow. Editing! As I’m about to embark on a five week visit to Greece in order to edit a 60,000 word manuscript I thought this was just what I required. Must add here that I signed up for this course as soon as I saw it advertised. The numbers are restricted to twenty, as was this one, although only fifteen people actually turned up. This meant that, although the University had their money, those people on the waiting list were denied the opportunity to benefit. Just hope those five are blacklisted for future events unless there was a credible reason – other than couldn’t be bothered etc. It was a freezing, wet day but it was worth my own trip, via two trains, to get there. Alan McMunnigall events are always oversubscribed which is in no way surprising.
I believe interaction is very important and enjoyable in any course. I have attended many ‘traditional’ lectures in the past and have been known to fall asleep due to boredom. Actually walked out on one and wasn’t the only one!
I didn’t yawn once on this occasion. The whole presentation was engaging, well prepared (hope this doesn’t sound patronising, not meant to be) and everyone was involved, if they so wished, no pressure. I even made comments. Could have made more but didn’t want to appear pushy. I learned some new ‘things’ and some ‘things’ I was doing I discovered were ‘right’ – for me!
It is to be hoped the University continue these day schools as it enables those of us who cannot afford the longer courses to keep the little grey cells active…
P.S This piece has NOT been edited…
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Black History Month
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Connect
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: EUROS
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Catharsis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Year to Remember – or forget..
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Guy Fawkes – what if he had succeeded?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Something for Hallowe’en
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Emmett Till – How Far Have We Come…
- Mary Irvine: What Did You Do In Lockdown 2020?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Troy’ Exhibition at the British Museum
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Tutankhamun – Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
- Mary Irvine: Closer than we thought
- Mary Irvine: Revived Controversy
- Mary Irvine blogging about a break
- An Unwanted Gift by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Christmas Customs and Festivals
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2020 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’