Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Forgotten Holocaust
When I got up this morning I had no intention of writing what follows but it has been inspired by a discussion I have just heard on the radio. I don’t have a television so listen to radio 4 for news, comedy, drama, documentaries. What I have just heard resulted in my retrieving a book called ‘The Rape of Nanking’ by Iris Chang.*
On the front cover it is described as ‘The Forgotten Holocaust of World War 11’. I do not propose to detail events which again belie belief that one nation could perpetrate such atrocities on another. We all know of the Jewish Holocaust but how many have heard of the actions of Japan in China, following the Second Sino-Japanese War of the 1930s and the occupation of the latter by the former. In particular the period from December 1937 to March 1938 when one of the worst massacres in modern times took place.
The testimony of survivors, foreign correspondents and foreigners living in Nanking at the time all bear witness to the indescribable events of that short time. There are many who still deny it happened or, in the words of one, ‘It was war. These things happen in war.’ I won’t grace such an opinion with s comment. It speaks for itself. Read the book. Make up your own mind.
However, when considering the rather tense relationship between these two countries at the present time I do urge people to read this book which will give a greater understanding of China’s attitude towards Japan.
*The Rape of Nanking’ by Iris Chang, pub Penguin, 1997
This section: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
Filed under: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Year to Remember – or forget..
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Guy Fawkes – what if he had succeeded?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Something for Hallowe’en
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Emmett Till – How Far Have We Come…
- Mary Irvine: What Did You Do In Lockdown 2020?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Troy’ Exhibition at the British Museum
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Tutankhamun – Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
- Mary Irvine: Closer than we thought
- Mary Irvine: Revived Controversy
- Mary Irvine blogging about a break
- An Unwanted Gift by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Christmas Customs and Festivals
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2020 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Paul Murdoch, Alexandria Writers + Open Mic
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Start – Graham Morgan at Helensburgh Library
- An Evening with Multi Award winning author Robin Lloyd-Jones