Mary Irvine’s Blog: Michael J Malone at Book Week Scotland 2018
A very appreciative audience enjoyed an entertaining two hours during the recent Book Week 2018 when the Helensburgh Library played host to poet turned novelist Michael J Malone.
He spoke of his early writing life and the benefits of joining a writers’ group for support and encouragement, as well as offering critiques. Having had many poems published – Art in the Park and Bards in the Bog both drew laughter from the audience – he moved on to writing novels which was what he really wanted to do.
His latest book After He Died revolves round the idea of how well do we know the people close to us. A flavour of the book was shared with readings introducing the two main characters – both female. He then introduced us to earlier novels and spoke of how he dealt with ‘hard’ themes and social issues without overdoing it.
Instead of the usual Q&A at the end of the talk Mt Malone requested questions be asked throughout his presentation. This worked well, not being intrusive but complementing the talk.
During Book Week Mr Malone raised money by swimming a total of 500 lengths in local swimming pools for Break the Silence – a charity that works with survivors of childhood sexual abuse, and rape.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Meet the Author, Angela Robb, Fruin Farm
- Joint Book Launch: Tracy Patrick and Fiona Lindsay
- Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life + The Abominable Dr Phibes GFT
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- Memorial Evening for Janet Paisley CCA
- Bloody Scotland 2019
- Alexandria Writers Open Mic
- Theresa Talbot Creative Writing Workshop
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis Book Launch
- Creative Conversations Inaugural Event Autumn 2019
- The Big Meeting GFT
- The Muse at Avant Garde September 9th, 2019
- Place and Peace: three Scottish PEN writers at Scottish Writers Centre
- Postbox Launch of Issue 2
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019