Mary Irvine’s Blog: Michael J Malone at Book Week Scotland 2018
A very appreciative audience enjoyed an entertaining two hours during the recent Book Week 2018 when the Helensburgh Library played host to poet turned novelist Michael J Malone.
He spoke of his early writing life and the benefits of joining a writers’ group for support and encouragement, as well as offering critiques. Having had many poems published – Art in the Park and Bards in the Bog both drew laughter from the audience – he moved on to writing novels which was what he really wanted to do.
His latest book After He Died revolves round the idea of how well do we know the people close to us. A flavour of the book was shared with readings introducing the two main characters – both female. He then introduced us to earlier novels and spoke of how he dealt with ‘hard’ themes and social issues without overdoing it.
Instead of the usual Q&A at the end of the talk Mt Malone requested questions be asked throughout his presentation. This worked well, not being intrusive but complementing the talk.
During Book Week Mr Malone raised money by swimming a total of 500 lengths in local swimming pools for Break the Silence – a charity that works with survivors of childhood sexual abuse, and rape.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA