Document Film Festival Glasgow 2018
Document Film Festival 2018 has relocated to the Scottish Youth Theatre, 105 Brunswick Street, Glasgow G1 1TF for its 16th edition.
This year the festival brings discussions and workshops as well as forty feature length and short documentary films from around the globe. It will include eleven Scottish premieres and some of the world’s most exciting prize-winning films.
“Alongside innovative and striking contemporary titles, this year’s festival finds us exploring the histories, afterlives and generative potential of archives – looking at what they can tell us about how we understand our individual and collective histories, particularly in relation to some of the seismic political events of the twentieth century.
We approach the literal and figurative notion of an archive as a means to interrogate the writing of history, and as a way to discover some of the revolutionary filmmakers who a have sought counter the forces of historical erasure.
From the radical women who transgressed tradition to pioneer a New Arab Cinema; to the Tokyo day-labourers who waged war on the Yakuza; and the birth of Guinean cinema and the decolonising vision of Amílcar Cabral – we listen to often-unheard voices that might help us better understand the structures binding our world, and imagine futures beyond the stasis and repetition of the contemporary moment.”
Tickets to all events are either free or priced on a Pay What You Can basis from £0 to £8 (in £2 increments).
This section: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- The Burning Season (2023) review Pat Byrne
- Govan Music Festival – Glasgow Barons
- Full Programme Announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Take 2: Turning Red
- The Settlers
- Hamlet + Ian McKellen Recorded Q&A
- El Castillo + Q&A
- Second Hand and Vintage Sale Britannia Panopticon
- Cesária Évora + Q&A
- Perfect Days
- CineMasters: Terrence Malick
- Black Dog
- Billy Connolly Big Banana Feet
- Blue Sunshine
- The Anatomy of a Fall
- Film Screening – Memory Box (2021) plus discussion
- Glasgow Goes Green at Arc: Festival Event
- WestFest 2024 – Glasgow West End
- FrightFest at Glasgow Film Festival 2024