Love Poem by Stephen Watt: I Think I’m Falling In Love With Football
I Think I’m Falling In Love With Football
Saturday mornings are looking different.
Fog has fallen upon the football pitches,
covering every inch like a cathedral train.
A delicious wispiness coruscates diamantes
in the early rain; flares of white paint
streak up each wing
into exploding corner flags of colour.
Nets are hung over posts like bridal veils.
Excited, barking dogs chase their tails,
rallied by the crowds embarking
upon the biggest fixture of the season.
I’m biting my fingernails
and drifting into daydreaming
and the reason, for once, isn’t alcohol;
I think I’m falling in love with football.
Usher us in to the cathedral of dreams,
a wedding march to welcome the teams
and a piper booked from Aberdeen
because teuchters have Herculean lungs.
Confetti showers from the back seats,
commentators screech from their hymn sheets
and three points is like the honeymoon suite –
or a trophy when all is said and done.
Run rings round fingers
and tie ribbons round silver anniversaries.
A beauty spot appears from twelve yards out
every time there’s a penalty.
You may kiss the bride or the man sat next to you
and I can see you’re worried, confused, appalled,
but I’m not losing my faculties
or sniffing cheap aerosols –
as a friend, please comprehend
I’ve fallen in love with football.
- GRIT Orchestra Celtic Connections 2020 photography and review Pauline Keightley
- Wrest and Maz O’Connor, Celtic Connections review Fionnuala Boyle
- Fionnuala Boyle – Glove Makes the World Go Round
- The Pure Amazing Wiz of Oz review by Fionnuala Boyle
- To Move On – short story by Samina Chaudry
- Glasgow Writer: Samina Chaudry
- The Mackintosh Group, Helensburgh Library
- Three New Poems by Rizwan Akhtar
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Wine Tasting at The Lansdowne – Mother India’s Cafe
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Let Glasgow Flourish: The Case for a Metropolitan City Boundary, Ian R. Mitchell
- Return to Tuscany 2019
- Town Hall Meeting U.S.A. Leela Soma
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019
- Flour Power – Live Language School Glasgow
- Govanhill: Portrait of a Community review Pat Byrne
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Bruce Biddolph Outstanding as ‘The Inquisitor’
- Scottish PEN Writers In Exile review by Pat Byrne
- Pure Love – The Voice of Ella Fitzgerald review by Jim Byrne