Celtic Connections 2016: John Grant support Rachel Sermanni – photos and review Pauline Keightley
John Grant at Celtic Connections
American singer-songwriter John Grant was on fine form at Celtic Connections. He is a larger than life bear of a man who commands the stage with his impressive bass voice. Well received by the fans, with calls of ‘John we love you!’ – he waved his arms in recognition.
He performed several songs from his third solo album, Grey Tickles, Black Pressure – ‘Geraldine’, ‘Global Warming’, ‘Voodoo Doll’ and ‘Disappointing’. He also sang some of his earlier material including, ‘Pale Green Ghosts’. I particularly enjoyed his hit song, ‘Glacier’, ‘This Pain’ and ‘Don’t become Paralysed with Fear.’ He raised the tempo with electronic pop rhythms. The thirty-something crowd were enthusiastic in their appreciation – and love!
Rachel Sermanni provided quality support and in contrast to Grant’s bass tones – the delicate and petite performer has an ethereal, soft focus voice.
Her new album release ‘Tied to the Moon’, explores earthier themes and she explained the theory she holds that women are tied to the moon’s cycles, whereas men are tied to the sun.
Review & Photos Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Lindisfarne at Cottiers