Celtic Connections 2016: John Grant support Rachel Sermanni – photos and review Pauline Keightley
John Grant at Celtic Connections
American singer-songwriter John Grant was on fine form at Celtic Connections. He is a larger than life bear of a man who commands the stage with his impressive bass voice. Well received by the fans, with calls of ‘John we love you!’ – he waved his arms in recognition.
He performed several songs from his third solo album, Grey Tickles, Black Pressure – ‘Geraldine’, ‘Global Warming’, ‘Voodoo Doll’ and ‘Disappointing’. He also sang some of his earlier material including, ‘Pale Green Ghosts’. I particularly enjoyed his hit song, ‘Glacier’, ‘This Pain’ and ‘Don’t become Paralysed with Fear.’ He raised the tempo with electronic pop rhythms. The thirty-something crowd were enthusiastic in their appreciation – and love!
Rachel Sermanni provided quality support and in contrast to Grant’s bass tones – the delicate and petite performer has an ethereal, soft focus voice.
Her new album release ‘Tied to the Moon’, explores earthier themes and she explained the theory she holds that women are tied to the moon’s cycles, whereas men are tied to the sun.
Review & Photos Pauline Keightley – http://pkimage.co.uk/
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe