Julie Clarke Becoming Julie: My Incredible Journey 20 May, Waterstone’s Sauchiehall St
Becoming Julie: My Incredible Journey
20th May, 2015 6 p.m.
Waterstones Sauchiehall St
Free event – Call the store on 0141 332 9105 to reserve your place.
Julie Clarke was born a boy in the 50s in central Scotland. From a very early age she knew she was different from other boys, but growing up in the 50s and 60s was not conducive to discussing feelings of gender difference and for many years Julie didn’t even know there was a medical term for her dilemma, she was transsexual.
Julie spent many years battling with her demons; as a man she lived a stereotypical life and became a firefighter, hoping that these acts would suppress her longing to become female, but to no avail. Finally, in 2004, Julie achieved her dream and after undergoing transgender surgery, she physically became a woman. This is the story of Julie Clarke’s journey to becoming the woman she is today, living happily on the Isle of Coll and working for Cal-Mac in the role she previously held as a man
Waterstone’s 53-157 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3EW
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.