In Process Masterclass with Chris Agee Scottish Writers Centre Tuesday 20th January 2015
In Process Masterclass with Chris Agee
Scottish Writers Centre
Tuesday 20th January 2015; 7pm to 8.30pm,
CCA Cinema Room, Glasgow:
Chris Agee was born in San Francisco, 1956, and grew up in Massachusetts, New York, and Rhode Island. He attended Harvard University and has lived in Ireland since 1979. Chris has authored three poetry collections: In the New Hampshire Woods (The Dedalus Press, 1992), First Light (The Dedalus Press, 2003) and Next to Nothing (Salt, 2009); he is also the editor of Scar on the Stone: Contemporary Poetry from Bosnia (Bloodaxe, 1998, Poetry Society Recommendation), Unfinished Ireland: Essays on Hubert Butler (Irish Pages, 2003), and The New North: Contemporary Poetry from Northern Ireland (Wake Forest University Press, 2008, and Salt, 2011).
A Bosnian translation of Next to Nothing (Gotovo ništa, Buybook, Sarajevo), funded by Ireland Literature Exchange, was released in 2011. His poetry appears in the seminal Bloodaxe anthology, The Hundred Years’ War (2014), among many others. He reviews for The Irish Times and is the editor of Irish Pages (a journal of contemporary writing in Belfast). Chris is currently the Keith Wright Literary Fellow at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow. He holds dual Irish and American citizenship, and spends part of each year at his house on Korcula, near Dubrovnik, in Croatia.
Next to Nothing was shortlisted for the 2010 Ted Hughes Award for New Work in Poetry, funded by the Poet Laureate and organised by the Poetry Society in London.
Tickets: £6 (£3 for concessions). Free to SWC members.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow