Good to Go Scheme, Zero Waste Scotland
Ask for your doggie bag when dining out in Scotland.
The Good to Go scheme is being run by Zero Waste Scotland with the backing of the Scottish Government. Launched to tackle ‘plate waste’ from restaurants and to change the culture around leftovers – making it normal to take food home after a meal.
‘Food waste is a major issue, which costs the Scottish hospitality industry an estimated £64 million a year. Our research estimates that around 53,500 tonnes of food is wasted from Scottish restaurants each year, and that two-thirds of this could have been avoided. 34% of this good food is estimated to be ‘plate waste’ – food left over at the end of the meal. The Good to Go pilot showed that if restaurants across Scotland routinely offered doggy bags to customers, it could save the equivalent of 800,000 full meals going in the bin every year.
Providing take-home boxes, or ‘doggy bags’ is a simple way to reduce this waste, whilst also offering customers an enhanced service by enabling them to take uneaten food home to enjoy later. Our research has shown that while customers overwhelmingly want to be offered ‘doggy bags’, two fifths (42%) are currently too embarrassed to ask for one.’
So don’t be embarrassed and don’t waste food.
This section: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
Filed under: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
- Pre-theatre and Lunch Menu at The Lansdowne
- No Waste Dinner at Project Cafe
- Websters Restaurant and Theatre Gallery
- Cuba Libre, Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Lansdowne Mother India Tapas review by Pat Byrne
- TransEurope Café Glasgow
- Mother India’s Cafe at The Lansdowne
- Befriending Food Experience Sunday Lunch
- Hungry Cities, Redesigning Our Relationship to Food
- Beatson Gin and Sing: Grease at OranMor
- Al Fresco Dining Glasgow West End
- The Lansdowne / Mother India review by Pat Byrne
- The Lansdowne – Mother India West End
- Whisky and Doughnuts Tastemaker Event at Citizen M
- International Women’s Day at Eusebi
- Barras Food Truck Fest
- Òran Mór Burns Night 2019
- Be My Galentine – Dinner for the Ladies in Your Life, The Project Cafe
- Burns Night, Inn Deep