Good to Go Scheme, Zero Waste Scotland
Ask for your doggie bag when dining out in Scotland.
The Good to Go scheme is being run by Zero Waste Scotland with the backing of the Scottish Government. Launched to tackle ‘plate waste’ from restaurants and to change the culture around leftovers – making it normal to take food home after a meal.
‘Food waste is a major issue, which costs the Scottish hospitality industry an estimated £64 million a year. Our research estimates that around 53,500 tonnes of food is wasted from Scottish restaurants each year, and that two-thirds of this could have been avoided. 34% of this good food is estimated to be ‘plate waste’ – food left over at the end of the meal. The Good to Go pilot showed that if restaurants across Scotland routinely offered doggy bags to customers, it could save the equivalent of 800,000 full meals going in the bin every year.
Providing take-home boxes, or ‘doggy bags’ is a simple way to reduce this waste, whilst also offering customers an enhanced service by enabling them to take uneaten food home to enjoy later. Our research has shown that while customers overwhelmingly want to be offered ‘doggy bags’, two fifths (42%) are currently too embarrassed to ask for one.’
So don’t be embarrassed and don’t waste food.
This section: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
Filed under: Eating and drinking Glasgow West End
- Celebrate Hogmanay at OranMor 2019
- Christmas Glasgow: Rockin Robin Festive Hooley at Cottiers
- Festive Hampers and Gifts at Eusebi
- Mother India A La Carte Christmas Menu 2019
- Mother India Set Menu
- Mother India Christmas Lunch Set Menu 2019
- Christmas Party Nights at OranMor 2019
- Mother India Christmas Set Menu 2019
- Hogmanay at Cottiers 2019
- Chippy Doon The Lane Christmas 2019
- Christmas Menu 2019 Queen Margaret Union, University of Glasgow
- Christmas Arrives at The Ivy Buchanan Street Glasgow
- Wine Tasting at The Lansdowne – Mother India’s Cafe
- Broad Scots St Andrew’s Day 2019 – Ubiquitous Chip
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Wine Tasting Party at The Lansdowne
- Pre-theatre and Lunch Menu at The Lansdowne
- No Waste Dinner at Project Cafe
- Websters Restaurant and Theatre Gallery