Celebrate John Maclean Centenary / Living Rent Benefit at Stereo
Saturday 1 December, 2018 – 7 p.m.
Celebrate the Centenary of great John Maclean coming home to the Clyde!
Featuring JAMES KELMAN | HEIR OF THE CURSED | DECLAN WELSH and more
Stereo Cafe/Bar, Renfield Lane, G6
A party to mark 100 years since John Maclean returned to Glasgow. Having suffered imprisonment, hard labour and force feeding in Peterhead Prison, he remained an unrepentant revolutionary; but was released and pardoned by a government that feared an insurrection in Glasgow to mirror the uprisings in Dublin, Berlin and Petrodgrad.
Maclean was met on Buchanan Street by tens of thousands of striking workers who carried him through the streets beneath a red flag and chanted ‘victory to the Russian Revolution, victory to the German revolution, victory to the British revolution!’
A contemporary account stated that
‘The shouts that rent the air made a volume of sound that the capitalists of Clydeside will often remember in the near future, when they are troubled with bad dreams.’
A hundred years later we face the same threats – from capitalists and landlords, from nascent fascism, and from war-profiteers – that Maclean gave his life to defeat. But the struggle continues. Join us at Stereo for a party marking Maclean’s return to the Clyde and raise a glass to one of Scotland’s greatest Marxists. The event is hosted by the Scottish Labour History Society and all funds raised will go to the Living Rent Campaign.
Tickets: £7 (general admission), £5(unwaged), £10 (solidarity)
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.