Celebrate John Maclean Centenary / Living Rent Benefit at Stereo
Saturday 1 December, 2018 – 7 p.m.
Celebrate the Centenary of great John Maclean coming home to the Clyde!
Featuring JAMES KELMAN | HEIR OF THE CURSED | DECLAN WELSH and more
Stereo Cafe/Bar, Renfield Lane, G6
A party to mark 100 years since John Maclean returned to Glasgow. Having suffered imprisonment, hard labour and force feeding in Peterhead Prison, he remained an unrepentant revolutionary; but was released and pardoned by a government that feared an insurrection in Glasgow to mirror the uprisings in Dublin, Berlin and Petrodgrad.
Maclean was met on Buchanan Street by tens of thousands of striking workers who carried him through the streets beneath a red flag and chanted ‘victory to the Russian Revolution, victory to the German revolution, victory to the British revolution!’
A contemporary account stated that
‘The shouts that rent the air made a volume of sound that the capitalists of Clydeside will often remember in the near future, when they are troubled with bad dreams.’
A hundred years later we face the same threats – from capitalists and landlords, from nascent fascism, and from war-profiteers – that Maclean gave his life to defeat. But the struggle continues. Join us at Stereo for a party marking Maclean’s return to the Clyde and raise a glass to one of Scotland’s greatest Marxists. The event is hosted by the Scottish Labour History Society and all funds raised will go to the Living Rent Campaign.
Tickets: £7 (general admission), £5(unwaged), £10 (solidarity)
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire