Celebrate John Maclean Centenary / Living Rent Benefit at Stereo
Saturday 1 December, 2018 – 7 p.m.
Celebrate the Centenary of great John Maclean coming home to the Clyde!
Featuring JAMES KELMAN | HEIR OF THE CURSED | DECLAN WELSH and more
Stereo Cafe/Bar, Renfield Lane, G6
A party to mark 100 years since John Maclean returned to Glasgow. Having suffered imprisonment, hard labour and force feeding in Peterhead Prison, he remained an unrepentant revolutionary; but was released and pardoned by a government that feared an insurrection in Glasgow to mirror the uprisings in Dublin, Berlin and Petrodgrad.
Maclean was met on Buchanan Street by tens of thousands of striking workers who carried him through the streets beneath a red flag and chanted ‘victory to the Russian Revolution, victory to the German revolution, victory to the British revolution!’
A contemporary account stated that
‘The shouts that rent the air made a volume of sound that the capitalists of Clydeside will often remember in the near future, when they are troubled with bad dreams.’
A hundred years later we face the same threats – from capitalists and landlords, from nascent fascism, and from war-profiteers – that Maclean gave his life to defeat. But the struggle continues. Join us at Stereo for a party marking Maclean’s return to the Clyde and raise a glass to one of Scotland’s greatest Marxists. The event is hosted by the Scottish Labour History Society and all funds raised will go to the Living Rent Campaign.
Tickets: £7 (general admission), £5(unwaged), £10 (solidarity)
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: David Robertson
- Aye Write on Demand 2021
- Before Now – Memoir of a Toerag by Moira McPartlin
- Aye Write 2021 – Celebrating 40 Years of Lanark
- Aye Write A Renewable Energy Revolution
- Aye Write 2021 – How To Stop Fascism, Paul Mason
- Aye Write 2021 – Rodge Glass introduces Fiction Debuts
- Aye Write 2021 – Salena Godden and Courttia Newland – Immersive, Poetic Fiction
- Aye Write 2021 Eco Tips for Your Home and Family
- Aye Write 2021 – Welcome Home Shuggie Bain
- Aye Write 2021 – A Pair of Wildly Compelling Novels
- Maggie O’Farrell and Kate Mosse at Aye Write 2021
- An Evening with Lesley Benzie
- Balloch Open Mic Mental Health Week – May 2021