Bob Law: A Cycling Trip Around West Lothian
West Lothian is a great place to go for a day’s cycling… or walking. The area is mainly livestock, arable farming, or oil-seed fields looking wonderful in May but the scenery is magnificent year round.
You will find several small hills and red shale bings providing excellent and unique views from their summits. Nothing else like this exists in Scotland, probably the UK.
Beecraigs Country Park, with several car parks within it probably makes the best base if driving there… or you can cycle from Edinburgh if fit. Rolling ridges and a rising upland plateau make for sometimes tough but continuously interesting cycling,
There is a myriad of quiet minor roads to play on and allow you to make it easier by picking flatter routes. These often run from west to east, along the various ridge-lines.
You will find a landscape similar to Renfrewshire with undulating hills and pleasant valleys. It is, however, drier making it possible to grow numerous patchwork-quilt fields of rape seed oil with its distinctive yellow flowers.
Red, green and gold – The colours of West Lothian.
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
Filed under: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: North Berwick to Gullane Walk – The Sunshine Coast
- Bob Law’s Blog: Old Kilpatrick. Lusset Glen to Bowling Walk
- Bob Law’s Blog: Walking and Photography Old Kilpatrick and Goldenhill
- Bob Law’s Blog: Evening Escapades
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Kilpatrick Hills balcony trails
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glennifer Braes Walks
- Bob Law: Gardens of Eden
- Bob Law: Walks and Photography – Scotland has some colourful birds
- Bob Law: Walks in Glasgow – Anniesland and Knightswood
- Bob Law’s Blog: Glasgow’s Quieter Parks
- Bob Law: North Pollok Walk, Glasgow
- Bob Law: Blog – Make The Most of Autumn in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: Rouken Glen – A Park For All Seasons
- Dumbarton to Balloch along the River Leven
- Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
- Bob Law’s Blog: Scotland – Walking and Photography Lunderston Bay To Kip Marina
- Bob Law’s blog: The Changing Face of Glasgow
- Bob Law: Scotland Photography – Mirror Images
- Bob Law’s Blog, walking and photography: English Lake District