Baked With Love – a poem by Leela Soma
Baked with Love
An eighteenth century recipe
handed down with an intriguing tale
of passion, incarceration in a tiger’s cage.
A bloody vengeful murder of Khani Begum
the fair young lover of Aga Bakar by Jainul.
Devastated by her death the young master baker
Came up with a recipe for Bakharkhani bread,
a tribute to his love.
The flat bread with cheese,
nuts, dried fruits ghee, almost a cake still survives.
Leela Soma, April, 2020
Note: The tragic love story of Baker Khan and Khani Begum in Mughal times, inspired the bakers’ to name his favourite bread Bakerkhani.
This section: Leela Soma writing and blogging, stories and poems
- Poetry by Hafsah Bashir
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- Tak Tent (Take Care) Christmas video – Janet Crawford
- Ice on Loch Lomond a poem by Catriona Malan
- Reunion – a poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Book Launch: Murder at the Mela, Leela Soma
- Wash a poem by Nina Quigley
- Poetry: Love’s Noise by Rizwan Akhtar
- Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma
- Ghazal: the phone – poem by Rizwan Akhtar
- Corona Virus Stew – poem by Leela Soma
- Baked With Love – a poem by Leela Soma
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Some Wintertime Poems by Finola Scott
- Three New Poems by Rizwan Akhtar
- Town Hall Meeting U.S.A. Leela Soma
- Two poems by Finola Scott: ‘Garlic’ and ‘Rhubarb’
- Onion by Leela Soma – vegetable inspired poetry
- Flowers – poems by Leela Soma
- I Deserve This – a poem for Christmas by Calum Maclean