The Carrbridge Rose – Brian Whittingham
A poem about love:
THE CARRBRIDGE ROSE
The Packhorse Bridge arches its back
like a grey stone rainbow
over the hard flowing river
hurtling past banks of snowy ice.
We explore chatting
holding hands ever so slight
as if young love though we are not.
Our pasts ensure we tread warily.
Not knowing where these steps may lead
we are in no rush to be fools … again.
I notice a winter rosebush
draped in a shroud of sparkling frost.
In amongst its withered blooms
a single red rose.
You notice its perfect petals closed
as if frozen alive
as if sleeping
as if waiting
as if a heart is still beating.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Love Poems, Stories and Tales from Glasgow writers, Valentine's Day Glasgow 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Writing
- Aye Write 2021 – Brit Bennet chaired by Nicola Sturgeon
- Balloch Open Mic Mental Health Week – May 2021
- Aye Write 2021 – Kicking Off This Weekend
- Nursat Fatah Ali Praises Muhammad pbuh – Rizwan Akhtar
- Living Our Dying – anthology pre-sale launch
- Aye Write 2021 – Mel Giedroyc – debut novel
- Aye Write 2021 introduces Scottish Debuts
- A WORKING CLASS STATE OF MIND by Colin Burnett
- Digging Out A Niche: In Conversation with Graham Lironi and Ian Spring
- Aye Write Programme 2021
- Aye Write 2021 – Helen McClory & Ruth Thomas
- Aye Write 2021 – A City and a Family’s Story of Slavery
- Aye Write 2021 Creative Writing
- Beginners Bird I.D.
- Little Garden Baby Group – Woodlands Community
- Wellbeing for Artists Working in Older People’s Care
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Rams at home with Glasgow Film Theatre
- Glasgow Trade Union May Day 2021
- Joan Eardley Centenary – Writers Celebrate her work