International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
8 March, 2020 – 5 p.m.
Cafezique, 66 Hyndland St, Partick, Glasgow G11 5PT
A Scottish PEN Women Writers Committee event for International Women’s Day 2020
This year marks the start of another decade. Looking back over the past ten years many women have raised their voices and risked their careers and sometimes their lives for equality, for themselves and others. From politicians to journalists, Hollywood stars to authors, school children to retirees, the list of empowering women is overwhelming and should never been forgotten.
The theme for the International Women’s Day 2020 is #EachforEqual. An equal world is an enabled world where we all are able to play a role in creating a gender-equal future. For international Women’s Day, the Scottish PEN Women Writers Committee will be hosting our annual event on the 8th of March to bring together leading women writers, musicians and activists to share their story, which will be followed by an open discussion with the audience on the topics and themes of the night.
The event will be hosted by the Scottish PEN Women Writers Committee chair, Emma Doherty, who will share the stories of ten influential women of the last decade. Joining her will be Indo-Scot poet & author of Twice Born and Bombay Baby, Leela Soma; performer, Carey McCabe; Carol McKay, Open University lecturer, winner of the Robert Louis Stevenson Fellowship and a finalist in the Macallan Scotland on Sunday short story competition; Orwell Prize 2019 shortlisted writer, Eve Livingston, who has written for The Guardian, Independent, VICE, Dazed, Stylist and many others; and Lyndsey Clark, a recent cancer survivor who is seeking to tell her story and spread awareness of gynaecological cancers and the threat of misdiagnoses for women across Scotland.
The night will close with acoustic performances from songwriters, Cherry and Hannah Wright.
The event will take place at Cafezique, 66 Hyndland St, Partick, Glasgow G11 5PT from 5 pm. Drinks will be available to purchase on the night.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Free Events, International Womens Day, Leela Soma writing and blogging, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021