Aye Write: Showcase of Debut Authors, Sara Baume and Margaret Montgomery
Review by Ciara MacLaverty
Tramp Press and Cargo Publishing have enticing names in the world of independent publishers. They sound hip and intriguing, as if they know how to bag a cult novel when they find one.
In this Aye Write Showcase their debut authors – Sara Baume (Tramp) and Margaret Montgomery (Cargo) exude a confident yet relaxed air while reading from their new novels and discussing the indy publishing scenes in both Ireland and Scotland. (Tramp is based in Dublin and Cargo is Scottish).
Both novels are about journeys and both women read prose with a captivating exactness that draws the listener in. Baume’s main character in her acclaimed book, ‘Spill Simmer Falter Wither’ is a man who has rescued a one-eyed dog, sending his life on a trajectory unforeseen. The audience are bemused when Baume admits she too homed a one-eyed dog from a rescue centre.
Montgomery’s book is satirically titled, ‘Beauty Tips for Girls,’ detailing the struggles of three women whose lives become intertwined. The excerpt Montgomery reads – about one of the women driving to a remote farmhouse builds to a wonderful sustained tension. When the woman finally arrives at the empty farmyard the farmhouse door is ajar. ‘Hello?’ she calls out and we are desperate to know more.
Ciara MacLaverty – April, 2015
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Book launch: Like A Tree Walking by Vahni Capildeo
- Community Ownership – Assets or Liabilities Online Discussion
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Book Launch: Wild Women Of A Certain Age, Magi Gibson
- Poetry and the Climate Crisis: Scotland and India
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Book Week Scotland: Writing Trumpet with Jackie Kay
- Book Week Scotland – Built Upon the Rock SWC
- COP26: A Radical Act of Love, Arborescence
- Calton Ceilidh anthology by Ruby McCann
- COP26: Towards Net Zero – speakers and discussion
- Climate Emergency Newsroom, University of Glasgow
- Samantha Walton Creative Conversations