Aye Write: Showcase of Debut Authors, Sara Baume and Margaret Montgomery
Review by Ciara MacLaverty
Tramp Press and Cargo Publishing have enticing names in the world of independent publishers. They sound hip and intriguing, as if they know how to bag a cult novel when they find one.
In this Aye Write Showcase their debut authors – Sara Baume (Tramp) and Margaret Montgomery (Cargo) exude a confident yet relaxed air while reading from their new novels and discussing the indy publishing scenes in both Ireland and Scotland. (Tramp is based in Dublin and Cargo is Scottish).
Both novels are about journeys and both women read prose with a captivating exactness that draws the listener in. Baume’s main character in her acclaimed book, ‘Spill Simmer Falter Wither’ is a man who has rescued a one-eyed dog, sending his life on a trajectory unforeseen. The audience are bemused when Baume admits she too homed a one-eyed dog from a rescue centre.
Montgomery’s book is satirically titled, ‘Beauty Tips for Girls,’ detailing the struggles of three women whose lives become intertwined. The excerpt Montgomery reads – about one of the women driving to a remote farmhouse builds to a wonderful sustained tension. When the woman finally arrives at the empty farmyard the farmhouse door is ajar. ‘Hello?’ she calls out and we are desperate to know more.
Ciara MacLaverty – April, 2015
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- Short Attention Span Theatre during Lockdown
- Creative Conversations Zoom Event Will Harris
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Creative Conversations – Dean Atta Virtual Format Monday 20 April, 2020
- Future Stories – Scottish Book Trust
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson