Aye Write: Showcase of Debut Authors, Sara Baume and Margaret Montgomery
Review by Ciara MacLaverty
Tramp Press and Cargo Publishing have enticing names in the world of independent publishers. They sound hip and intriguing, as if they know how to bag a cult novel when they find one.
In this Aye Write Showcase their debut authors – Sara Baume (Tramp) and Margaret Montgomery (Cargo) exude a confident yet relaxed air while reading from their new novels and discussing the indy publishing scenes in both Ireland and Scotland. (Tramp is based in Dublin and Cargo is Scottish).
Both novels are about journeys and both women read prose with a captivating exactness that draws the listener in. Baume’s main character in her acclaimed book, ‘Spill Simmer Falter Wither’ is a man who has rescued a one-eyed dog, sending his life on a trajectory unforeseen. The audience are bemused when Baume admits she too homed a one-eyed dog from a rescue centre.
Montgomery’s book is satirically titled, ‘Beauty Tips for Girls,’ detailing the struggles of three women whose lives become intertwined. The excerpt Montgomery reads – about one of the women driving to a remote farmhouse builds to a wonderful sustained tension. When the woman finally arrives at the empty farmyard the farmhouse door is ajar. ‘Hello?’ she calls out and we are desperate to know more.
Ciara MacLaverty – April, 2015
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11