Aye Write: Showcase of Debut Authors, Sara Baume and Margaret Montgomery
Review by Ciara MacLaverty
Tramp Press and Cargo Publishing have enticing names in the world of independent publishers. They sound hip and intriguing, as if they know how to bag a cult novel when they find one.
In this Aye Write Showcase their debut authors – Sara Baume (Tramp) and Margaret Montgomery (Cargo) exude a confident yet relaxed air while reading from their new novels and discussing the indy publishing scenes in both Ireland and Scotland. (Tramp is based in Dublin and Cargo is Scottish).
Both novels are about journeys and both women read prose with a captivating exactness that draws the listener in. Baume’s main character in her acclaimed book, ‘Spill Simmer Falter Wither’ is a man who has rescued a one-eyed dog, sending his life on a trajectory unforeseen. The audience are bemused when Baume admits she too homed a one-eyed dog from a rescue centre.
Montgomery’s book is satirically titled, ‘Beauty Tips for Girls,’ detailing the struggles of three women whose lives become intertwined. The excerpt Montgomery reads – about one of the women driving to a remote farmhouse builds to a wonderful sustained tension. When the woman finally arrives at the empty farmyard the farmhouse door is ajar. ‘Hello?’ she calls out and we are desperate to know more.
Ciara MacLaverty – April, 2015
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Write Lines with In Motion Theatre. Book Week Scotland 2019
- Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
- Words and Music: The Sound of Young Scotland
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Night of Scripts, Music and Song
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Adura Onashile: Artist and Playwright, Creative Conversations
- Short Story Collection with Adam McNelis, Glasgow Literary Lounge
- Webinair: How to talk to children about Climate Change
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage