Aye Write presents Doddie Weir
Sunday, 24 March, 2019 1.15 p.m. – 2.15 p.m.
Glasgow Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3NY
In a rugby career which had huge highs and shocking lows, Doddie Weir faced some of the greatest players in the game, from Jonny Wilkinson to Jonah Lomu, Brian O’Driscoll to Scott Quinnell and Martin Johnson to Joost van der Westhuizen, and set stadiums alight when “on the charge like a mad giraffe”. Now, at the age of 48, Doddie is facing an entirely different adversary: Motor Neurone Disease.
MY NAME’5 DODDIE is a courageous and hugely entertaining celebration of his remarkable life. He has faced up to his MND diagnosis with undaunted positivity, using his boundless energy to raise funds for MND research and support, with more than £1million already raised and committed in the first year.
Doddie will be in conversation with the sports journalist (and co-author of the book) Stewart Weir.
0141 353 8000
This section: Aye Write Book Festival 2019, Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11