Jack Lukeman OranMor
Friday 8 March, 2019
OranMor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8QX
Cutting his teeth on the bohemian busking circuit around Europe Jack Lukeman first came to prominence in the summer of 1995 when he and The Black Romantics took up a residence at The Da Club (Dublin Arts Club) in Dublin. The band played mostly Jacques Brel songs, with one or two of Jack’s own, and recorded the album Wax in 1995.
This was followed in 2001 by the album Universe; Hotpress’ John Walshe had the following to say, “… it is as if his older albums were made in black and white and Universe has been recorded in glorious technicolour”.
2006 saw the release of ‘Broken Songs’,with such classics as Open your borders, many quoted Broken Songs Jack’s best album yet.
It was closely followed by ‘Burn On’ in 2008 featuring the songs of the great Randy Newman. In 2009, Jack released hi ‘milestone’ album ‘The Story So Far’ featuring many unreleased tracks and live recordings.
Lukeman has appeared with Nick Cave and writer Patrick McCabe in a series of performances mixing spoken word, poetry reading and song. His powerfully expressive vocals have been compared to such disparate types as David Bowie, Tom Waits, and Frank Sinatra.
In 2010, Jack performed a ‘Month of Mondays’ at the Spiegel tent in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Theatre Festival where he received a host of 5 Star reviews.And spotlight best music award
2011 saw Jack taking to the airwaves with a 26 part series on lyric and radio 1 called High Fidelity the history of song.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Linda Jaxson Band at Websters
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Sunday Blues Muse at Caffeine
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Siobhan Miller at Websters Theatre
- Govan Stones Music Festival
- Riverside Festival 2021
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- The Carlton Jug Band and The Rulers of The Root
- Heidi Talbot and Boo Hewerdine at Websters Theatre
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- Joy Dunlop – Gaelic Live Online Concert and Ceilidh
- Smokehead Sessions – Dave Arcari Wildcats
- Lizzie Reid at Stirling Tolbooth Shindig Online
- The Everything Thing by Jim McAteer – Single Launch
- Carlton Sessions
- St Patrick’s Day Special: The Great Irish Songbook
- February Noise – Refuweegee