Jack Lukeman OranMor
Friday 8 March, 2019
OranMor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8QX
Cutting his teeth on the bohemian busking circuit around Europe Jack Lukeman first came to prominence in the summer of 1995 when he and The Black Romantics took up a residence at The Da Club (Dublin Arts Club) in Dublin. The band played mostly Jacques Brel songs, with one or two of Jack’s own, and recorded the album Wax in 1995.
This was followed in 2001 by the album Universe; Hotpress’ John Walshe had the following to say, “… it is as if his older albums were made in black and white and Universe has been recorded in glorious technicolour”.
2006 saw the release of ‘Broken Songs’,with such classics as Open your borders, many quoted Broken Songs Jack’s best album yet.
It was closely followed by ‘Burn On’ in 2008 featuring the songs of the great Randy Newman. In 2009, Jack released hi ‘milestone’ album ‘The Story So Far’ featuring many unreleased tracks and live recordings.
Lukeman has appeared with Nick Cave and writer Patrick McCabe in a series of performances mixing spoken word, poetry reading and song. His powerfully expressive vocals have been compared to such disparate types as David Bowie, Tom Waits, and Frank Sinatra.
In 2010, Jack performed a ‘Month of Mondays’ at the Spiegel tent in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Theatre Festival where he received a host of 5 Star reviews.And spotlight best music award
2011 saw Jack taking to the airwaves with a 26 part series on lyric and radio 1 called High Fidelity the history of song.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow
- The Great Western Festival of Musical Exploration and Discovery
- East End Free Festival Glasgow