Jack Lukeman OranMor
Friday 8 March, 2019
OranMor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8QX
Cutting his teeth on the bohemian busking circuit around Europe Jack Lukeman first came to prominence in the summer of 1995 when he and The Black Romantics took up a residence at The Da Club (Dublin Arts Club) in Dublin. The band played mostly Jacques Brel songs, with one or two of Jack’s own, and recorded the album Wax in 1995.
This was followed in 2001 by the album Universe; Hotpress’ John Walshe had the following to say, “… it is as if his older albums were made in black and white and Universe has been recorded in glorious technicolour”.
2006 saw the release of ‘Broken Songs’,with such classics as Open your borders, many quoted Broken Songs Jack’s best album yet.
It was closely followed by ‘Burn On’ in 2008 featuring the songs of the great Randy Newman. In 2009, Jack released hi ‘milestone’ album ‘The Story So Far’ featuring many unreleased tracks and live recordings.
Lukeman has appeared with Nick Cave and writer Patrick McCabe in a series of performances mixing spoken word, poetry reading and song. His powerfully expressive vocals have been compared to such disparate types as David Bowie, Tom Waits, and Frank Sinatra.
In 2010, Jack performed a ‘Month of Mondays’ at the Spiegel tent in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Theatre Festival where he received a host of 5 Star reviews.And spotlight best music award
2011 saw Jack taking to the airwaves with a 26 part series on lyric and radio 1 called High Fidelity the history of song.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Americana City Halls, Celtic Connections 2020
- Breabach @15 Celtic Connections 2020
- Grit Orchestra Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2020
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas