Jack Lukeman OranMor
Friday 8 March, 2019
OranMor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow G12 8QX
Cutting his teeth on the bohemian busking circuit around Europe Jack Lukeman first came to prominence in the summer of 1995 when he and The Black Romantics took up a residence at The Da Club (Dublin Arts Club) in Dublin. The band played mostly Jacques Brel songs, with one or two of Jack’s own, and recorded the album Wax in 1995.
This was followed in 2001 by the album Universe; Hotpress’ John Walshe had the following to say, “… it is as if his older albums were made in black and white and Universe has been recorded in glorious technicolour”.
2006 saw the release of ‘Broken Songs’,with such classics as Open your borders, many quoted Broken Songs Jack’s best album yet.
It was closely followed by ‘Burn On’ in 2008 featuring the songs of the great Randy Newman. In 2009, Jack released hi ‘milestone’ album ‘The Story So Far’ featuring many unreleased tracks and live recordings.
Lukeman has appeared with Nick Cave and writer Patrick McCabe in a series of performances mixing spoken word, poetry reading and song. His powerfully expressive vocals have been compared to such disparate types as David Bowie, Tom Waits, and Frank Sinatra.
In 2010, Jack performed a ‘Month of Mondays’ at the Spiegel tent in Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Theatre Festival where he received a host of 5 Star reviews.And spotlight best music award
2011 saw Jack taking to the airwaves with a 26 part series on lyric and radio 1 called High Fidelity the history of song.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Who’s Zoomin Who? Music, Copyright and Precarity
- The Zoom Session with Dave Arcari
- Sounds in the Suburbs 5th Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Hip Hop to Opera via Negro Spirituals
- Refuweegee Fundraiser with Sound in the Suburbs
- Govanhill International Festival 2020
- Sammy’s Lockdown #5
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham at Cottiers
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show