Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Two authors visit Aye Write! for the first time to discuss their new work.
Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets
Lisa O’Donnell won the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize with her last novel ‘The Death of Bees’ and her latest, ‘Closed Doors’, is set in Rothesay and is a vivid and powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times. Kate Hamer’s debut ‘The Girl in the Red Coat’ has been compared to Emma Donoghue’s Room, in that it starts off with a premise we think we know – an abducted child – and takes the reader somewhere completely unexpected.
Chaired by Sasha DeBuyl.
Kate Hamer grew up in Pembrokeshire and lives in Cardiff. She did a Creative Writing MA at Aberystwyth University and the Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course. She won the Rhys Davies short story award in 2011 and her winning story was read out on Radio 4. She has recently been awarded a Literature Wales bursary.
Lisa O’Donnell won the Orange Screenwriting Prize in 2000 for her screenplay ‘The Wedding Gift’. Recently she took a break from screenwriting when she moved to LA with her two children. ‘The Death of Bees’ is her first novel.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Poetry Launches CCA – Stephen Watt, Derek Parkes and Mandy Haggith
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Meet the Author, Angela Robb, Fruin Farm
- Joint Book Launch: Tracy Patrick and Fiona Lindsay
- Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life + The Abominable Dr Phibes GFT
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- Memorial Evening for Janet Paisley CCA
- Bloody Scotland 2019
- Alexandria Writers Open Mic
- Theresa Talbot Creative Writing Workshop
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis Book Launch
- Creative Conversations Inaugural Event Autumn 2019
- The Big Meeting GFT
- The Muse at Avant Garde September 9th, 2019
- Place and Peace: three Scottish PEN writers at Scottish Writers Centre
- Postbox Launch of Issue 2
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019