Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Two authors visit Aye Write! for the first time to discuss their new work.
Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets
Lisa O’Donnell won the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize with her last novel ‘The Death of Bees’ and her latest, ‘Closed Doors’, is set in Rothesay and is a vivid and powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times. Kate Hamer’s debut ‘The Girl in the Red Coat’ has been compared to Emma Donoghue’s Room, in that it starts off with a premise we think we know – an abducted child – and takes the reader somewhere completely unexpected.
Chaired by Sasha DeBuyl.
Kate Hamer grew up in Pembrokeshire and lives in Cardiff. She did a Creative Writing MA at Aberystwyth University and the Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course. She won the Rhys Davies short story award in 2011 and her winning story was read out on Radio 4. She has recently been awarded a Literature Wales bursary.
Lisa O’Donnell won the Orange Screenwriting Prize in 2000 for her screenplay ‘The Wedding Gift’. Recently she took a break from screenwriting when she moved to LA with her two children. ‘The Death of Bees’ is her first novel.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Landscapes Without Figures, The American South West by Ian R. Mitchell
- Scottish Poetry Library: Launch Poetry London 100th edition
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Talks, The Hunterian, Black History Month 2021
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Publishing Scotland Fiction Showcase
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- Black History Month, Being A Black Woman in Society Today
- Denise Mina, Creative Conversations
- Nature Stories with Emily Dodd, The Children’s Wood
- Scottish Ensemble Common Sound at Cottiers
- Tanna Slamma Ding Dong, Tannahill Arts Festival
- The Children’s Wood – Nicola Davies with Readings and Screening
- Atlantic Slavery Glasgow ‘Hidden in Plain Sight’
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Dora Wright
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow