Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Two authors visit Aye Write! for the first time to discuss their new work.
Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets
Lisa O’Donnell won the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize with her last novel ‘The Death of Bees’ and her latest, ‘Closed Doors’, is set in Rothesay and is a vivid and powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times. Kate Hamer’s debut ‘The Girl in the Red Coat’ has been compared to Emma Donoghue’s Room, in that it starts off with a premise we think we know – an abducted child – and takes the reader somewhere completely unexpected.
Chaired by Sasha DeBuyl.
Kate Hamer grew up in Pembrokeshire and lives in Cardiff. She did a Creative Writing MA at Aberystwyth University and the Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course. She won the Rhys Davies short story award in 2011 and her winning story was read out on Radio 4. She has recently been awarded a Literature Wales bursary.
Lisa O’Donnell won the Orange Screenwriting Prize in 2000 for her screenplay ‘The Wedding Gift’. Recently she took a break from screenwriting when she moved to LA with her two children. ‘The Death of Bees’ is her first novel.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot
- Scottish Books Long Weekend
- Meet the Poet: Marcus Slease & Colin Herd
- Balloch Open Mic on Zoom