Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Two authors visit Aye Write! for the first time to discuss their new work.
Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets
Lisa O’Donnell won the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize with her last novel ‘The Death of Bees’ and her latest, ‘Closed Doors’, is set in Rothesay and is a vivid and powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times. Kate Hamer’s debut ‘The Girl in the Red Coat’ has been compared to Emma Donoghue’s Room, in that it starts off with a premise we think we know – an abducted child – and takes the reader somewhere completely unexpected.
Chaired by Sasha DeBuyl.
Kate Hamer grew up in Pembrokeshire and lives in Cardiff. She did a Creative Writing MA at Aberystwyth University and the Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course. She won the Rhys Davies short story award in 2011 and her winning story was read out on Radio 4. She has recently been awarded a Literature Wales bursary.
Lisa O’Donnell won the Orange Screenwriting Prize in 2000 for her screenplay ‘The Wedding Gift’. Recently she took a break from screenwriting when she moved to LA with her two children. ‘The Death of Bees’ is her first novel.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- The 2022 Booker Prize
- Lapidus Creative Writing with Lesley O’Brien
- Aye Write: Jenni Fagan with Claire Mitchell QC and Zoe Venditozzi Witches of Scotland Podcast
- Book Launch: The Pharmacist by Rachelle Atalla
- Modren Makars Launch Event
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell and Nataliya Deleva
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Creative Conversations: Michael Pederson
- Aye Write: The Kavya Prize
- Aye Write: Graeme Thomson with John Dingwall
- Aye Write: Beyond the Swelkie
- CARLA Book Launch at tell it slant
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar
- All Becomes Art – Poems to Joan Eardley
- Aye Write 2022: Scotland’s future. Gerry Hassan, Joyce McMillan & Prof Tanja Bueltmann chaired by Simon Barrow
- Colonial Seeds / Seedy Social / Community Meal
- Aye Write: MORE FIYA: A Celebration of Black British Poetry with Kayo Chingonyi, Janette Ayachi and Dean Atta
- Aye Write 2022: Introducing Debut Authors
- Aye Write: Douglas Bruton introduces…Kenny Boyle, Claire Alexander, Adrian Keefe and Charlie Roy
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell Introduces… Kirsty Capes, Louise Nealon and Emily Edwards