Aye Write 2015: Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets, Fri 24 April
6:00PM – 7:00PM
Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow
Two authors visit Aye Write! for the first time to discuss their new work.
Kate Hamer & Lisa O’Donnell: Family Secrets
Lisa O’Donnell won the Commonwealth Writer’s Prize with her last novel ‘The Death of Bees’ and her latest, ‘Closed Doors’, is set in Rothesay and is a vivid and powerful tale of love, the loss of innocence and the importance of family in difficult times. Kate Hamer’s debut ‘The Girl in the Red Coat’ has been compared to Emma Donoghue’s Room, in that it starts off with a premise we think we know – an abducted child – and takes the reader somewhere completely unexpected.
Chaired by Sasha DeBuyl.
Kate Hamer grew up in Pembrokeshire and lives in Cardiff. She did a Creative Writing MA at Aberystwyth University and the Curtis Brown Creative novel-writing course. She won the Rhys Davies short story award in 2011 and her winning story was read out on Radio 4. She has recently been awarded a Literature Wales bursary.
Lisa O’Donnell won the Orange Screenwriting Prize in 2000 for her screenplay ‘The Wedding Gift’. Recently she took a break from screenwriting when she moved to LA with her two children. ‘The Death of Bees’ is her first novel.
Tickets: £9 plus transaction fee
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End