An Evening with William Boyd Aye Write 3rd September 2015
6:30PM – 7:30PM • Mitchell Library
Aye Write! presents acclaimed author William Boyd as he discusses his life and work, and introduces his latest novel, Sweet Caress.
An Evening with William Boyd
Acclaimed author William Boyd joins us to discuss his life and work, and to introduce his latest novel, Sweet Caress, a heart-wrenching tale of love and war in the twentieth century.
Amory’s first memory is of her father doing a handstand. She has memories of him returning on leave during the First World War. But his absences, both actual and emotional, are what she chiefly remembers.
It is her photographer uncle Greville who supplies the emotional bond she needs, and, when he gives her a camera and some rudimentary lessons in photography, unleashes a passion that will irrevocably shape her future.
In this enthralling story of a life fully lived, William Boyd has created a sweeping panorama of some of the most defining moments of modern history, told through the camera lens of one unforgettable woman, Amory Clay. It is his greatest achievement to date.
‘The energy and inventiveness of Boyd’s storytelling is breathtaking’ (London Review of Books)
William Boyd is the author of eleven novels, including A Good Man in Africa, An Ice Cream War, Any Human Heart, and Restless, winner of the Costa Novel of the Year, and a Richard & Judy selection.
Or buy tickets from our box office on 0141 353 8000
The Mitchell Library, North St, Glasgow G3 7DN
- Landscapes Without Figures, The American South West by Ian R. Mitchell
- Scottish Poetry Library: Launch Poetry London 100th edition
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Talks, The Hunterian, Black History Month 2021
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Publishing Scotland Fiction Showcase
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- Black History Month, Being A Black Woman in Society Today
- Denise Mina, Creative Conversations
- Nature Stories with Emily Dodd, The Children’s Wood
- Scottish Ensemble Common Sound at Cottiers
- Tanna Slamma Ding Dong, Tannahill Arts Festival
- The Children’s Wood – Nicola Davies with Readings and Screening
- Atlantic Slavery Glasgow ‘Hidden in Plain Sight’
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Dora Wright
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow