A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
A Northern Extravaganza in the Land of Zoom
30 June, 2020 – 7 p.m. until 8.30 p.m.
Free – For Members of Scottish Writers Centre Email to arrange membership
A Northern extravaganza in the Land of Zoom. Join Shetlandic poets Christie Williamson and Roseanne Watt for an evening of poetry and discussion.
Roseanne Watt is a poet, filmmaker and musician from Shetland. She is currently poetry editor for The Island Review and was the winner of the 2015 Outspoken Poetry Prize (Poetry in Film) and runner up in the 2018 Aesthetica Creative Writing Award. In 2018, her debut collection Moder Dy won the Edwin Morgan Poetry Award; Moder Dy was also shortlisted for the 2019 Saltire Society Poetry Book of the Year Award. She lives and works between Edinburgh and Shetland.
Christie Williamson lives in Glasgow where he runs Tell it Slant Books and is treasurer of the Scottish Writers’ Centre. Publications include Arc o Möns (a bilingual edition of Federico Garcia Lorca poems in Shetlandic and Spanish), his debut pamphlet, which won the 2010 Calum MacDonald Memorial Award, and ‘Oo an Feddirs’ from Luath Press in 2015. His latest collection, Doors tae Naewye, is published this year by Luath Press. He comes fae Yell.
This evening will feature readings from both poets, whose work utilises and celebrates Shetland’s distinctive literary, cultural and linguistic heritage to great effect. It will also include a discussion of the particular challenges and opportunities faced by Shetlandic writers within wider literary worlds. This promises to be a memorable evening showcasing two different but complementary voices, taking inspiration from the Northern limits of Scotland across and beyond its shores.
- Fright Fest Glasgow 2021 – ‘Vicious Fun’ review Danielle O’Neill Young
- Glasgow Film Festival – Rosa’s Wedding review by Pat Byrne
- Book Launch – Peter May: The Night Gate
- Yer Old Faither review by Pat Byrne
- Spring Blossom Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Wildland Glasgow Film Festival Online review Pat Byrne
- Introductions to birding in Glasgow – with Scott Rogers Part IV(Nature Recovery)
- CLIC Sargent – World Book Day Fundraiser
- Spring Fling Queen Margaret Drive
- The Knitting Station by Kirsti Wishart – book launch
- Creative Conversations Don Paterson
- Zero Waste Sunday Social – fast fashion and textile waste
- Minari at GFF21 – review by Pat Byrne
- How Poets See The World – Paisley Book Festival 2021 review by Pat Byrne
- Andrew Painting & Jim Crumley: #Wee Nature Fest
- February Noise – Refuweegee
- Mongrel: Donna Campbell debut poetry collection
- Rymour Books: Cultivating the Literary Arts
- International Mother Language Day 21 February 2021
- Glesga Banter: Celebration of Weegie Culture