A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
A Northern Extravaganza in the Land of Zoom
30 June, 2020 – 7 p.m. until 8.30 p.m.
Free – For Members of Scottish Writers Centre Email to arrange membership
A Northern extravaganza in the Land of Zoom. Join Shetlandic poets Christie Williamson and Roseanne Watt for an evening of poetry and discussion.
Roseanne Watt is a poet, filmmaker and musician from Shetland. She is currently poetry editor for The Island Review and was the winner of the 2015 Outspoken Poetry Prize (Poetry in Film) and runner up in the 2018 Aesthetica Creative Writing Award. In 2018, her debut collection Moder Dy won the Edwin Morgan Poetry Award; Moder Dy was also shortlisted for the 2019 Saltire Society Poetry Book of the Year Award. She lives and works between Edinburgh and Shetland.
Christie Williamson lives in Glasgow where he runs Tell it Slant Books and is treasurer of the Scottish Writers’ Centre. Publications include Arc o Möns (a bilingual edition of Federico Garcia Lorca poems in Shetlandic and Spanish), his debut pamphlet, which won the 2010 Calum MacDonald Memorial Award, and ‘Oo an Feddirs’ from Luath Press in 2015. His latest collection, Doors tae Naewye, is published this year by Luath Press. He comes fae Yell.
This evening will feature readings from both poets, whose work utilises and celebrates Shetland’s distinctive literary, cultural and linguistic heritage to great effect. It will also include a discussion of the particular challenges and opportunities faced by Shetlandic writers within wider literary worlds. This promises to be a memorable evening showcasing two different but complementary voices, taking inspiration from the Northern limits of Scotland across and beyond its shores.
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Climate Change The Facts David Attenborough Savvy Film
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Cottiers At Home – Beer Garden Takeaway Extended Menu, Bottle Shop, Beer Garden Reopening
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Anna (Young Adults Book) by Laura Guthrie
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Great Styles from Around the Globe at Jasmine Boutique – Gallery
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community
- Creative Pollination: Exploration and Creative Writing Woodlands Community
- ‘Here Comes The Moon’ – live stream single launch Starry Skies
- Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
- ‘Doors tae Naewye’ poetry by Christie Williamson