Mary Irvine’s blog: A Stimulating Day – Editing Workshop with Alan McMunnigall, Centre for Open Studies, University of Glasgow
Recently attended another day school at the University of Glasgow. Editing! As I’m about to embark on a five week visit to Greece in order to edit a 60,000 word manuscript I thought this was just what I required. Must add here that I signed up for this course as soon as I saw it advertised. The numbers are restricted to twenty, as was this one, although only fifteen people actually turned up. This meant that, although the University had their money, those people on the waiting list were denied the opportunity to benefit. Just hope those five are blacklisted for future events unless there was a credible reason – other than couldn’t be bothered etc. It was a freezing, wet day but it was worth my own trip, via two trains, to get there. Alan McMunnigall events are always oversubscribed which is in no way surprising.
I believe interaction is very important and enjoyable in any course. I have attended many ‘traditional’ lectures in the past and have been known to fall asleep due to boredom. Actually walked out on one and wasn’t the only one!
I didn’t yawn once on this occasion. The whole presentation was engaging, well prepared (hope this doesn’t sound patronising, not meant to be) and everyone was involved, if they so wished, no pressure. I even made comments. Could have made more but didn’t want to appear pushy. I learned some new ‘things’ and some ‘things’ I was doing I discovered were ‘right’ – for me!
It is to be hoped the University continue these day schools as it enables those of us who cannot afford the longer courses to keep the little grey cells active…
P.S This piece has NOT been edited…
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Freedom Bound – Escaping Slavery in Scotland
- Public Lecture of the Publishing Scotland’s International Fellows Glasgow – review by Mary Irvine
- Creative Writing Courses – University of Glasgow
- Mary Irvine’s blog: How authors relax or do they?
- Mary Irvine blogging about A Goodbye Lunch
- Writers’ Workshop Day at Fruin Farm, Nr. Helensburgh
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: A Sad Day – Murder of Martin Luther King Jr
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Open Mic Hits The Sticks
- The Magician by Mary Irvine
- The Square, Broomhill, Glasgow – Restaurant Review by Mary Irvine
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Writing about Greece and Byres Road Book Festival
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: PC Gone Mad, To Kill A Mocking Bird
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Another Musical Musing, October, 2017
- Leiper’s Attic at Cottiers Glasgow review by Mary Irvine
- Short Courses Open Day University of Glasgow, 26 August, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Merchant City Festival Outdoor Stage at the Tron 22.07.2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review of ‘A Murder of Crows’ – A Debut Novel by Ian Skewis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Time Out, Glasgow Women’s Library, St Louis Partick,July, 2017
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Anne and Mary’s Local Tales Review
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Autumn Voices: Exploring creativity in later life & writing comp for over 60s.