Mary Irvine’s Blog: Writers Give Talks – A Trio of Beauties!!
Three of the Mackintosh Group of writers recently gave talks to members of the Probus group of Dumbarton.
Mary Irvine (Alexandria)
First up was Mary Irvine, of Alexandria, who gave a power point presentation entitled ‘The Price of Fish’. This talk was based on some of the memories of growing up in the fishing community of Kingston upon Hull, based on the loss of trawlers, which obviously had left a deep impression. A pamphlet, illustrated by Dumbarton artist, Anne Marshall, is being produced and will be sold in the Bullnose Heritage Centre in Hull.
Catriona Malan (Helensburgh)
Two weeks later and it was the turn of Catriona Malan of Helensburgh. She also concentrated on her childhood in Cardross. With the aid of distributed maps Catriona took everyone on a walk round Cardross, stopping off at places she remembered to illustrate her memories with a poem or two. She also brought some local characters alive through amusing limericks.
Ann MacKinnon (Balloch)
The following week Ann MacKinnon, of Balloch, who gave an illustrated talk on the history and development of the Great Tapestry of Scotland. Displaying some of the panels she read poetry in Scots or English inspired by that particular panel. A book with a selection of these poems will be available in the New Year.
Both Catriona and Ann are accomplished poets with a string of awards and successes between them. Mary’s second novel ’Theseus, Hero of Athens’ is now available on Amazon.
All three writers said they had enjoyed giving their talks to this group. It was a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere, which made the events pleasurable for all involved.
This section: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
Filed under: Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Magic Scales by Paul Murdoch
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Ukrainian Duo in Dumbarton
- An evening with local poets Ann MacKinnon and Catriona Malan
- Mary Irvine: Review of ‘Gods of the Crossroads’ by Robin Lloyd-Jones
- Robin Lloyd Jones Launch: Gods of the Lost Crossroads
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Storytelling for Adults
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review of Warp and Weft by Ann MacKinnon
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Blackbird Singing’ – an evening with Graham Morgan
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Writers Give Talks – A Trio of Beauties!!
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Mary Irvine: Review of the Sugar Boat Restaurant, Helensburgh
- Aye Write Three Debut Authors (interviewed by Matthew Keeley)
- Aye Write: Prof Dame Sue Black ‘The Books that Made Me
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Interview with debut author Evelyne Lawrie
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: What Exactly Is Love?
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Black History Month
- Mary Irvine’s Blog:Connect
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: EUROS
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Catharsis
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: The Eve of Destruction – again?