Sheep and Goats by Lewis Gordon, book launch 23 October, CCA
Published by Vagabond Voices
The Vagabonds are now mixing in circles above their station, smelling of meths and bringing down the tone. Come along and raise things up again – Ricky Ross of Deacon Blue (Lewis plays the bass guitar) will introduce the event in CCA, Clubroom, 7 p.m. 23 October.
This is very much another Glasgow novel, this time a descriptive work on the lives of teenagers, particularly those following the final fling of the punk movement in the nineties, the moshers. Hence the lurid yellow cover, another invention of our cover designer Mark Mechan.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 3JD
‘Nicky plays the drums. He plays at church – softly. Friday nights he goes to the youth club there. For the rest of the week he serves his time at school, quietly and anonymously.
One Sunday morning he meets Sid. Fresh from an onstage tussle with an elderly music teacher, Sid needs a new drummer for his punk band. Nicky is the chosen one. He can hold a beat, but his ears need corrupted.
Now part of a whole new scene of misfits and piss-artists, Nicky’s past relationships start to fray. A playground attack causes animosity with his old pal Pete; enigmatic girls draw his attention away from Christian crush Ruth; youth leader Mack strains to shepherd him on the narrow path.
Profane and often absurd, Sheep and Goats uses short, compressed sketches to recount the thrill and pain of teenage awakenings, the drudgery and slog of education and the frantic need to stand out and fit in all at once: the tale of a naive adolescent, struggling to make space for faith when all that matters is friendship, sex, drink and unholy music.’
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11