Sheep and Goats by Lewis Gordon, book launch 23 October, CCA
Published by Vagabond Voices
The Vagabonds are now mixing in circles above their station, smelling of meths and bringing down the tone. Come along and raise things up again – Ricky Ross of Deacon Blue (Lewis plays the bass guitar) will introduce the event in CCA, Clubroom, 7 p.m. 23 October.
This is very much another Glasgow novel, this time a descriptive work on the lives of teenagers, particularly those following the final fling of the punk movement in the nineties, the moshers. Hence the lurid yellow cover, another invention of our cover designer Mark Mechan.
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland, G2 3JD
‘Nicky plays the drums. He plays at church – softly. Friday nights he goes to the youth club there. For the rest of the week he serves his time at school, quietly and anonymously.
One Sunday morning he meets Sid. Fresh from an onstage tussle with an elderly music teacher, Sid needs a new drummer for his punk band. Nicky is the chosen one. He can hold a beat, but his ears need corrupted.
Now part of a whole new scene of misfits and piss-artists, Nicky’s past relationships start to fray. A playground attack causes animosity with his old pal Pete; enigmatic girls draw his attention away from Christian crush Ruth; youth leader Mack strains to shepherd him on the narrow path.
Profane and often absurd, Sheep and Goats uses short, compressed sketches to recount the thrill and pain of teenage awakenings, the drudgery and slog of education and the frantic need to stand out and fit in all at once: the tale of a naive adolescent, struggling to make space for faith when all that matters is friendship, sex, drink and unholy music.’
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling
- Lin Anderson at Weegie Wednesday
- Campire Club Rousing Rebels, Paisley
- Paisley Book Festival: Opening Night: Radical Renfrewshire
- What’s This Script with Jenny Lindsay, Paisley Book Festival
- Poets in the Library – Paisley Book Festival