Scottish Writers’ Centre: Another Kind of North Tue 25 February 2014 CCA
Scottish Writers’ Centre:
Another Kind of North
Tue 25 February 2014
Poet and translator Donald Adamson, winner of The Herald Millennium Poetry Prize launches his new collection From Coiled Roots, with special guests. Published by Indigo Dreams, he book explores life, landscapes and history in Finland and Scotland. Finnish Nobel Prize nominee Eeva Kilpi likens his translations to ‘the humming of the trees around our human suffering and joys’.
Joining him will be poet Liz Niven, who has worked with up-and-coming Finnish poet and translator Aila Juvonen on ‘chain’ poems – poems and responses on Finnish themes. An award-winning poet, she has appeared at Literary Festivals across Europe, China and Australia, and her fourth and most recent collection, The Shard Box (Luath Press), was selected as a Scottish Libraries Summer Read. She has promised to read extracts from her Scots versions of the Karelian saga The Kalevala, the national epic of Finland and one of the most significant works of Finnish literature.
Finnish poet Aila Juvonen has published two books – Kipeä Katse and Skidikantti – and is currently working on a novel called The Green Stone, play for adolescents called The Cream-cake Soldiers and a poem collection. Aila’s poetry has appeared in Northwords Now and she has translated Liz Niven’s poems into Finnish for Liz’s reading tours in Finland.
SWC founding member Gerry Loose also has a long-standing relationship with the culture and ecology of Finland, and been honoured with a Finnish Koneen Säätiö Award, as well as a Robert Louis Stevenson Fellowship and a Creative Scotland Award. Publications include: The Elementary Particles (Taranis Books, 1993), Tongues of Stone (Mariscat Press, 1998), Eitgal (Mariscat Press, 2001) Printed on Water: new and selected poems (Shearsman 2007 ), Ten Seasons (SPL & Luath, 2007), the deer path to my door (Oystercatcher 2009) and that person himself (Shearsman 2009).
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11