Scottish Writers’ Centre: Another Kind of North Tue 25 February 2014 CCA
Scottish Writers’ Centre:
Another Kind of North
Tue 25 February 2014
Poet and translator Donald Adamson, winner of The Herald Millennium Poetry Prize launches his new collection From Coiled Roots, with special guests. Published by Indigo Dreams, he book explores life, landscapes and history in Finland and Scotland. Finnish Nobel Prize nominee Eeva Kilpi likens his translations to ‘the humming of the trees around our human suffering and joys’.
Joining him will be poet Liz Niven, who has worked with up-and-coming Finnish poet and translator Aila Juvonen on ‘chain’ poems – poems and responses on Finnish themes. An award-winning poet, she has appeared at Literary Festivals across Europe, China and Australia, and her fourth and most recent collection, The Shard Box (Luath Press), was selected as a Scottish Libraries Summer Read. She has promised to read extracts from her Scots versions of the Karelian saga The Kalevala, the national epic of Finland and one of the most significant works of Finnish literature.
Finnish poet Aila Juvonen has published two books – Kipeä Katse and Skidikantti – and is currently working on a novel called The Green Stone, play for adolescents called The Cream-cake Soldiers and a poem collection. Aila’s poetry has appeared in Northwords Now and she has translated Liz Niven’s poems into Finnish for Liz’s reading tours in Finland.
SWC founding member Gerry Loose also has a long-standing relationship with the culture and ecology of Finland, and been honoured with a Finnish Koneen Säätiö Award, as well as a Robert Louis Stevenson Fellowship and a Creative Scotland Award. Publications include: The Elementary Particles (Taranis Books, 1993), Tongues of Stone (Mariscat Press, 1998), Eitgal (Mariscat Press, 2001) Printed on Water: new and selected poems (Shearsman 2007 ), Ten Seasons (SPL & Luath, 2007), the deer path to my door (Oystercatcher 2009) and that person himself (Shearsman 2009).
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- Short Attention Span Theatre during Lockdown
- Creative Conversations Zoom Event Will Harris
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Creative Conversations – Dean Atta Virtual Format Monday 20 April, 2020
- Future Stories – Scottish Book Trust
- ‘the lactic acid in the calves of your despair’ poetry collection by Ali Whitelock
- New Collection of Poems: Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson
- The Clearing: A memoir of art, family and mental health by Samantha Clark
- The Siren Awakes – memoir by Linda Jackson