Scottish Pen: The Day of the Imprisoned Writer
Thursday 15th November, 2018
Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh, EH99 1SP
Scottish Pen are marking 15th November, the Day of the Imprisoned Writer, by promoting literary culture, celebrating the freedom to write, and calling for justice and freedom for persecuted, imprisoned and murdered writers across the world. There are events at Scottish Parliament that all can join.
Thursday 15th November, 2018, 17:30, The Day of the Imprisoned Writer event is sponsored by Ruth Maguire MSP and introduced by First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, Scottish Parliament.
Scottish Pen mark the day every year, but this year are honoured that the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon will give a short introduction to the event, sharing her thoughts for protecting at-risk writers across the globe and defending free expression. This event will bring together leading writers based in Scotland, including Jenni Fagan, Nadine Aisha Jassat, Chitra Ramaswamy, James Robertson and Louise Welsh to read the work of at-risk or imprisoned writers around the globe to stand in solidarity with them and ensure their voices cannot be silenced.
Reading the work, others want censored, is a powerful way to combat violence, imprisonment and censorship and we hope you will join us as we call for at-risk writers to be protected and celebrate the power and courage of the written word across the globe. Leading novelist, Sara Sheridan will also chair the event.
This important event will take place on Thursday 15th November in the Burns Room at Scottish Parliament. The event starts at 5.30pm, but due to parliament security procedures you are required to arrive by 5.15pm at the latest. As it is hosted in parliament.
Sign up for a FREE ticket to be allowed to take part. You can secure a ticket here: Secure ticket.
Refreshments from 5.15pm will be provided. Please get your ticket NOW to avoid disappointment.Parliamentary Debate
Main Chamber, Scottish Parliament
12:45, Thursday 15th November, 2018
At 12.45, after First Minister’s Questions (FMQs) on Thursday 15th November, a Parliamentary Debate, sponsored by Ruth Maguire MSP will take place in the main chamber of Scottish Parliament on the topic of the Day of the Imprisoned Writer. MSPs from every party will speak up for at-risk writers everywhere, raise awareness of their plight and attempt to build consensus for more concrete action to protect these writers. This is a follow up to the debate held last year on 23rd November (See Scottish Pen for details)
As a public debate you are welcome to come and watch from the public gallery. This could be a landmark occasion to secure high-level support for the day and our work protecting free expression. If you would like to attend, you will need to apply for tickets to attend:Secure tickets
The time slot is: Thursday only, Members Business at 12.45 for Thursday 15th November
Contact Scottish Pen for further information
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019
- Book Week Scotland 2019
- Write Lines with In Motion Theatre. Book Week Scotland 2019
- Ghost Signs of Glasgow, Glasgow City Heritage Trust
- Words and Music: The Sound of Young Scotland
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Night of Scripts, Music and Song
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Adura Onashile: Artist and Playwright, Creative Conversations