Scotland Writers FC vs England Writers FC – THE MATCH, 13 September, 2014
Scotland Writers FC vs England Writers FC – THE MATCH
Saturday 13 September at 12 p.m.
Glasgow Green Football Centre, Kings Drive, G40 1HB
Scotland vs England. Many great players have graced the auld enemy clash on both sides. Moore. Baxter. Shearer. Johnstone. Gascoigne. Uh, Kenny Miller.
And now more greats compete – Johnstone. Oltermann. Williamson. Gavron. Dougan. Dunthorne. Wilson. Wallis Simons. More likely to be linked with signing for Penguin than Real Madrid, these galacticos will be taking to the field in a mixed gender, low ability football match at Glasgow Green this Saturday.
We compete for the glory of The Hamilton Crescent Cup. The trophy given to a team of winning authors who triumph in the traditional Scotland vs England Writers’ football match. A prize so desired in the football world that as we speak, Ronaldo is writing haiku, Messi is now a children’s author and Joey Barton is penning a 52 volume memoir, just to get into the sides.
Previously, Scotland won the first cup with a 4-2 win in Glasgow, before the English grabbed their first taste of the silverware with a 5-0 win in London.
Entry is free, expectations are low, support is needed. We’ll be on the grass pitch at the centre for all the blood and thunder of this derby.
Later, there’s a reading event, listed in a separate FB event at The Poetry Club at SWG3.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Sport, Walks, Cycling in Glasgow
- Makar to Makar, Jackie Kay with Imtiaz Dharker and Suzanne Bonnar
- Life is too short online readings and recorded performances
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- Create & Connect Showcase. Glasgow Women’s Library
- Twitter Chat, Little Women at GFT Online Film Club
- The Poets’ Time – weekly meetings with Linda Jackson on Zoom
- Creative Conversations: Iain Maloney, Novelist and Poet – Zoom Event
- Stay at Home Literary Fringe Festival
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Zoom Event – A reading and Q&A with renowned poet Peter Gizzi
- Aye Write – Big Book Weekend Virtual Festival
- From Glasgow to Saturn Issue 44 – read online
- Short Attention Span Theatre during Lockdown
- Creative Conversations Zoom Event Will Harris
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Creative Conversations – Dean Atta Virtual Format Monday 20 April, 2020
- Future Stories – Scottish Book Trust
- New Life Gym, Maryhill, Glasgow