Scotland Writers FC vs England Writers FC – THE MATCH, 13 September, 2014
Scotland Writers FC vs England Writers FC – THE MATCH
Saturday 13 September at 12 p.m.
Glasgow Green Football Centre, Kings Drive, G40 1HB
Scotland vs England. Many great players have graced the auld enemy clash on both sides. Moore. Baxter. Shearer. Johnstone. Gascoigne. Uh, Kenny Miller.
And now more greats compete – Johnstone. Oltermann. Williamson. Gavron. Dougan. Dunthorne. Wilson. Wallis Simons. More likely to be linked with signing for Penguin than Real Madrid, these galacticos will be taking to the field in a mixed gender, low ability football match at Glasgow Green this Saturday.
We compete for the glory of The Hamilton Crescent Cup. The trophy given to a team of winning authors who triumph in the traditional Scotland vs England Writers’ football match. A prize so desired in the football world that as we speak, Ronaldo is writing haiku, Messi is now a children’s author and Joey Barton is penning a 52 volume memoir, just to get into the sides.
Previously, Scotland won the first cup with a 4-2 win in Glasgow, before the English grabbed their first taste of the silverware with a 5-0 win in London.
Entry is free, expectations are low, support is needed. We’ll be on the grass pitch at the centre for all the blood and thunder of this derby.
Later, there’s a reading event, listed in a separate FB event at The Poetry Club at SWG3.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Sport, Walks, Cycling in Glasgow
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Soft Play Area and Clip and Climb Kelvin Hall
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11