Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch CCA Wed 3 June 2015
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch
Wed 3 June 2015
7pm, Free, Clubroom
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – a tale of geriatric radical pacifists in the Faslane area – is told with the author’s usual dry wit and subtle observation.
Douglas Low has reached the last slice of life. Recovering from a heart condition, he retires to a cottage on Holy Loch, his hope that this final bite might be a sweet one. For Edith, his invalid wife, the only wish is that new shores might bring relief from bitter, chronic pain.
Douglas finds respite of his own in the form of Helen, his visiting lover. This new life, lived in the shadow of stationed American forces, finds a gentle, clandestine rhythm. But this is complicated by the arrival of his son, an unpredictable drifter who soon ruffles American feathers.
Gilmour’s distinctive voice follows his beautifully drawn characters as they face the unpredictability of fate, each one touched by the cruel creep of expiration. A timely novel, Spring Manoeuvres addresses the blurring lines between protection, occupation and invasion, and the choice between compromise and sacrifice.
See www.vagabondvoices.co.uk for more.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray
- Creative Conversations Sara Sheridan
- Professor J. Edward Chamberlin National Poetry Day University of Glasgow
- Poets Tony Walsh and Stephen James Smith at Cottiers
- LUX Scotland presents: where did we land Fi Dem 1 and 11