Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch CCA Wed 3 June 2015
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch
Wed 3 June 2015
7pm, Free, Clubroom
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – a tale of geriatric radical pacifists in the Faslane area – is told with the author’s usual dry wit and subtle observation.
Douglas Low has reached the last slice of life. Recovering from a heart condition, he retires to a cottage on Holy Loch, his hope that this final bite might be a sweet one. For Edith, his invalid wife, the only wish is that new shores might bring relief from bitter, chronic pain.
Douglas finds respite of his own in the form of Helen, his visiting lover. This new life, lived in the shadow of stationed American forces, finds a gentle, clandestine rhythm. But this is complicated by the arrival of his son, an unpredictable drifter who soon ruffles American feathers.
Gilmour’s distinctive voice follows his beautifully drawn characters as they face the unpredictability of fate, each one touched by the cruel creep of expiration. A timely novel, Spring Manoeuvres addresses the blurring lines between protection, occupation and invasion, and the choice between compromise and sacrifice.
See www.vagabondvoices.co.uk for more.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire