Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch CCA Wed 3 June 2015
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – Book Launch
Wed 3 June 2015
7pm, Free, Clubroom
Peter Gilmour’s Spring Manoeuvres – a tale of geriatric radical pacifists in the Faslane area – is told with the author’s usual dry wit and subtle observation.
Douglas Low has reached the last slice of life. Recovering from a heart condition, he retires to a cottage on Holy Loch, his hope that this final bite might be a sweet one. For Edith, his invalid wife, the only wish is that new shores might bring relief from bitter, chronic pain.
Douglas finds respite of his own in the form of Helen, his visiting lover. This new life, lived in the shadow of stationed American forces, finds a gentle, clandestine rhythm. But this is complicated by the arrival of his son, an unpredictable drifter who soon ruffles American feathers.
Gilmour’s distinctive voice follows his beautifully drawn characters as they face the unpredictability of fate, each one touched by the cruel creep of expiration. A timely novel, Spring Manoeuvres addresses the blurring lines between protection, occupation and invasion, and the choice between compromise and sacrifice.
See www.vagabondvoices.co.uk for more.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.