Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
(Performance for Ban: Loveland Colorado, Bhanu Kapil 2012)
Monday 11 November 2019
Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo is a piece of prose-poetry that speaks about the complex alienation of the expatriate, finding solace in language and ‘not one particular language’.
Penetrate: Translate is a fortnightly reading group which reflects the violent slippage(s) that occurs between a text’s subject, its author, its reader(s), language(s) and form itself. The group is led by Catalina Barroso-Luque, a Mexican artist based in Glasgow. Books may be available at discount through MAP. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Join us to read around female body politics in translation.
Details of all sessions:
14 October 2019 – Virgin with a Memory, Sophia Al-Maria
28 October 2019 – Style/Estilo, Dolores Dorantes
11 November 2019 – Five Measures of Expatriation, Vahni Capildeo
25 November 2019 – Ban en Banlieue, Bhanu Kapil
9 December 2019 – Pinochet Porn in Progress, Ellen Cantor, MAP ⧣19 Autumn 2009
Penetrate: Translate is organised by Catalina Barroso-Luque in collaboration with MAP magazine.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events
- Cheeky Besom Productions – ‘Artists With Attitude’ Presents Linda Jackson
- Fessen/Reared New Poetry Collection by Lesley Benzie, Book Launch
- Poetry Slam – Open to All – The Tron
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- The IASSIDD Exhibition ProjectAbility
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?
- Roots Festival – An Evening with Wullie, George and Friends
- Poor Wurld by Jim Ferguson – Book Launch Party
- Evening of Stories and Songs with Kirstin Innes and Outi Smith
- Aye Write 2020: Memoirs and Confessions – Justified Sinners Speakeasy
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Niall O’Gallagher
- It’s Time To Talk About Mental Health – Part Two
- Aye Write:Claudia Hammond, The Art of Rest
- Aye Write: Andrew Greig and Chris Agee
- Paisley Book Festival: Jenny’s Well Press presents: Writers and Rebellion
- Aye Write: Stewart Ennis and Okechuwu Nzelu
- Rootsy Rammy
- The Muse at the Playhouse with Linda Jaxson
- More Than Words – Poetry Night with Imogen Stirling