Adura Onashile: Artist and Playwright, Creative Conversations
Monday 04 November 2019, 1 – 2 p.m.
Free & Open to the Public
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Adura Onashile is an award winning Glasgow based artist. She has been a part of the British Council Edinburgh Showcase and has worked with companies such as Untitled Projects, Royal Shakespeare Company, Young Vic, Theatre Royal Stratford East, Chicago Shakespeare Company and St Anne’s Warehouse, New York.
She wrote and performed ‘HeLa’ the true story of Henrietta Lacks. The show’s successful run at the Edinburgh fringe won the Scottish Arts Club and Edinburgh Guide Best Scottish Contribution to Drama on the Fringe 2013 and embarked on a tour to India, Brazil, Trinidad, Jamaica, South Africa, Zimbabwe and New Zealand.
She wrote and directed “Expensive S**t”, which premiered at the Traverse Theatre at the Edinburgh Festival and toured to The Southbank Centre and The Soho theatre, London. The sold out show won a Fringe First award, the Edinburgh Guide Best Scottish Contribution to Drama 2016, and was highly commended for the Amnesty International Freedom of Speech award as well as being nominated for the Alfred Fagon award.
As a National Theatre Step change Participant, her inquiry into the contexts in which she makes and tours work as a Black artist in Scotland, led to a series of discussions titled “Empowering Change: Discussions on Art, Race and Privilege”.
Named number 10 in The List magazine 2018 HOT 100, she was described as “creating politically charged and provocative work, Onashile is proving that she simply cannot be ignored”.
She is developing new work across Theatre, Film and Television and is a recipient of the Channel 4 playwright bursary.
As part of the on-going Creative Conversation speaker series artist and playwright Adura Onashile comes to University of Glasgow campus to chat about her writing. Bring your lunch and burning questions!
Sponsored by the Ferguson Bequest and programmed by Creative Writing at University of Glasgow.
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Candlelight Spoken Word Open Mic
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Largs and Knock Hill January 2020
- Celtic Connections: Field Music with Tenement and Temple, Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Creative Conversation: Kate Charlesworth, Illustrator and Writer
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers
- The Lucky Sparrow Games Cafe Open Day
- Launch of Glasgow Historical City
- Petticoats and Pinnacles, NLS Kelvinhall
- Dove Tales: Home Front Celtic Connections 2020
- Jolly Beggars Banquet Cheeky Besom Productions
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- Celtic Connections 2020 – Fionnuala Boyle
- Creative Conversations, Monday Lunchtimes, University of Glasgow Chapel
- Benny Lynch Heritage Trail, Calton Bar
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Periodical Publishing with Gerry Cambridge, Joy Hendry & Henry Bell
- Val McDermid Crime Writer – Creative Conversations